Crashing on Linux

Hi @Harald_Pott,

I had a very similar problem as you have. The hypothesis is that the network configuration tool NetworkManager used by Ubuntu Desktop may be involved. So I ended up reinstalling my machine with Ubuntu Server which does not use this tool for Ethernet interfaces.

But there are ways to reconfigure Ubuntu Desktop so it won’t use NetworkManager to configure Ethernet but networkd, another tool. Please note that this only is about Ethernet interfaces, not WiFi. For WiFi configuration, Ubuntu always uses NetworkManager.

Here are instructions you can use and reconfigure your Ubuntu which I assume is Desktop, if you don’t want to simply reinstall the NUC using Ubuntu Server.

First, find out the name of your Ethernet interface and its IP. For this, use

ip address

on the command line. The output will look something like this:

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
   valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000
link/ether 04:d9:f5:f2:f6:aa brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 10.0.4.116/24 brd 10.0.4.255 scope global enp3s0
inet6 fe80::6d9:f5ff:fef2:f6aa/64 scope link 
3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 04:ed:33:a2:92:1b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

In this case, the first entry is for the local loopback device, the second entry is the Ethernet device you are looking for, and the third entry is for a WiFi device which is disabled. So, write down the Ethernet interface’s name enp3s0 and its IP address 10.0.4.116/24. Please note that those are the values on my system, yours will be different.

Now, with this info, you can reconfigure the Ethernet interface to not be managed by NetworkManager.

For this, change into the /etc/netplan directory. Inside look for any available configuration files which all have names starting with numbers. The idea is that they are read one after another in alphabetic order, and configurations of a later config file can override configurations of an earlier one. So, look in your /etc/netplan directory and create a new file starting with a number higher than any of the files present.

The configuration files demand a special syntaxis and a name ending with .yaml.

So, let’s suppose you want to write a new configuration file 50-ethernet-config.yaml. You can use the simple editor nano to create this file. Simply say

sudo nano 50-ethernet-config.yaml

on the command line. In this put the following lines:

network:
  version: 2
  renderer: NetworkManager
  ethernets:
      enp3s0:
         renderer: networkd
         match:
            name: enp3s0
         dhcp4: false
         addresses: [10.0.4.116/24]
         gateway4: 10.0.4.1
         nameservers:
            addresses: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]

Again, I show you my own configuration. You must take care to use your own interface name and IP address from step 1. The gateway4 address is your routers internal (LAN) address. Please use the indentation as in the example. Without the correct indentation the syntaxis will not be recognized and it will not work.

With this configuration you will set up the Ethernet interface with a static address, disable the use of DHCP for this interface, disable NetworkManager for this interface and use the Google DNS servers as recommended by Roon.

You can now use

sudo netplan try

to try out the new configuration, before making it persistent. If all is well and there are no errors and your NUC connects to the network, you can apply the new configuration:

sudo netplan apply

As by this you set up a static IP on your NUC, you must configure on your router the correspondent address reservation, so that the router’s DHCP server doesn’t hand out the address to other devices on your LAN.

That’s it. With this configuration there shouldn’t be any more conflicts between Roon and NetworkManager. Let’s hope Roon will be able to figure out what exactly causes this conflict and provide a solution with a future release. Until then, this workaround should work.

1 Like