Crashing on Linux

The fix seems to cause an update issue using Cockpit : “Cannot refresh cache whilst offline”

The URL seems to discuss this

The workaround seems to be use the update manager in the GUI or use
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

Pure novice but my best guess using Google… I’m sure its known to Linux users…

1 Like

This is what I use, once a week. I just checked and cockpit on my standard Ubuntu Server installation has the same update issue. I will look into this as this doesn’t make much sense, being cockpit most useful as tool for a headless server, not a workstation.

1 Like

Thanks Andreas

I’m not sure how many users this affects and peoples skill levels, but at least if we can document what is found people can work through the solutions and grow knowledge.

Cheers Phil

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Cannot refresh cache whilst offline

That does not seem to work for me and I’ve also done a reboot.

You are right, what I proposed doesn’t work. I tested again and refreshing the package cache in cockpit fails. What works is disabling NetworkManager for good:

sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager.service 
sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager.service

But then the cockpit ‘network’ tab doesn’t show any information, and I prefer to have cockpit show network configuration and usage info instead of being able to update packages.

One workaround could possibly be to set up a dummy network interface. I’ll look into this tomorrow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.