Creating convolution files for Roon in the new Room EQ Wizard (REW) with Inversion

Well then, that’s that, absolutely understandable!
Maybe try plugging the bass reflex ports with different density foams to find an optimum, as Serkan suggested earlier…

Besides the bass, for not doing any room correction, your FR is quite nice, I’d say too!

Have a fantastic new year :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

I’ve never tried plugging the ports since ATC don’t ship port plugs with the speakers. I’ve never heard port plugs being used with ATC’s but maybe it’s something to try out.

Happy new year and happy listening to all of you also :hugs:

Your speakers have some bass dials, don’t they?
Tried those yet, although probably not the cure?

Only bass boost available on ATC’s. That won’t help here.

My old Focals (1027Be) came with port plugs, the new Kanta 2’s have both rear and front ports and no port plug. Closing the rear port helped the first dip nicely but I read somewhere that you can put extra force on the woofer driver if the speaker is not designed for port plugging so I removed them.

Re: your previous question, the correction covers dips only as below. Combined with peak cuts, it is quite ok. Just finished this calibration from scratch:

2 Likes

Don’t worry Serkan, of course you change the alignment but you won’t damage the chassis by plugging a bass reflex port - just keep an eye on maximum excursion limits…

1 Like

I cannot listen to my system too loud anyway thanks to neighbors but at the moment it really sounds too good to change anything. Did you try the new method? You should. Btw, due to lack of fdw in this one, some people experiences high frequency echo (very hardly audible in certain songs) so I revised it a bit. Also included all the workflow in REW so don’t forget to download the zip file linked under rthe video.

2 Likes

Certainly will give it a shot once time and solitude allow, to see by how much the current pinnacle can be topped…
:innocent:

1 Like

You can skip the first two filters but the new XO phase shift and EP reversal filters can add a magic touch.

I think, the EP reversal filter will be an additional tweak for my full-range-line-source speakers…
:star_struck:

Yes, your phase response will be interesting to see. I wonder if it will fit in my automations.

1 Like

Finally got around to doing this. It took me well over an hour to follow the Tutorial as I wanted to have some understanding of what I was actually doing :slight_smile:

I’m finding the changes to be VERY noticeable so far - in a good way. Everything sounds smoother, softer, warmer and well just better. Also the depth and imaging are improved.
Hoping to get a few of hours of listening tomorrow.

1 Like

@OCA Thank you very much for this new tutorial.

I’m following through slowly and have only started touching the fourth filter - way over my head !!

When I import in rephase to create filter 3, my phase with FDW1 is already quite flat.
Applying a crossover at the manufacturer’s frequency of 1.5k simply messes things up, no matter what slope I use.

Is it necessary to add a crossover filter, or can I work it out as is?

Thanks!

If the phase response is falt and around 0 degrees without and crossoevr linearization, that’s fine. You can leave it as is. However, make sure there are no phase discontinuities left between 30-10000Hz area. You can use the linearization filters to rotate the phase at the frequency of discontinuty independent of your corssover frequencies.

1 Like

So, I only added an Lr24 crossover filter at 74hz and then made all phase 0.
However when I create the Excess Phase version, I get a discontinuity around 150 that can only get rid off when I apply FDW 1. What would you suggest?

Thanks again!

The Excess phase screenshot is at FDW8.

How does fdw1 EP look like?

here it is

There are some strong reflections in the room I guess. You can start EP inversion from around 180Hz, something like the below:

Got it. The room is indeed quite narrow and the speakers are right at the corners, so reflections are inevitable.
Thank you!

On a side note, I see that with the second filter (the inversion), RT60 drops signifcantly from an average of 0.4 down to 0.1s from 400hz all the way to 10k.

Why is this? Doesn’t this make the room too dead?

RT60 is supposed to diminish at higher frequencies. Here’s a properly corrected response (orange line) RT60 graph for you;