Creating convolution files for Roon in the new Room EQ Wizard (REW) with Inversion

I’m having a problem when using convolution files in roon, but only when playing radio stations.
The sound drops out for maybe a fifth of a second every 20 seconds. When I disable the filter, the problem goes.
Funny how it should be radio stations only. Playback of Qobuz or my local library is not affected.
Here’s a screen shot of my signal path. Any ideas?

A question: when I took a reading of my room with REW, I had SAM on my Devialet amps turned on but set at 0%. I read that SAM does something to improve the phase. Was this correct setting?

I cannot think of any good reason for radio streaming to drop out. Maybe most Qobuz and your library is in 44.1kHz but the radio station in the picture you shared is 48kHz and this is causing problems. 147k taps is a bit too much for 48kHz also. I can trim them if you want.

Sorry I have no experience with Devialet SAM!

Can you share your .mdat?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lIMcbzau__kpD0SFgGhXqSHM24V8B3x7/view?usp=sharing

There’s something wrong with the speaker measurements. You haven’t ticked “Adjust clock with acoustic reference”, you haven’t used mic calibration file for Umik-1 and you have measured from 0 to 20kHz rather than 24kHz. All of these might have contributed to the faulty response. The left and right window times are way above standard 100/500ms and fdw creates huge dips in the response whereas it should have the opposite effect.

I am afraid you’ll need to retake these 4M length measurements.

48k local files play fine.
If you wouldn’t mind trimming the files for me here is a link to my mdat files.
Please let me know if you need anything else and thank you in advance.

This is the same filter but much faster. You don’t need to zip that, just direct the Roon engine to the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lb3EolOiFnBYH1J6XckWG2lJANKgd1mG/view?usp=sharing

Your speakers are not symmetrically placed and have completely different bass responses so it’s difficult to create a good filter. This one has different bass response that “might” solve the SAM issue. You will need to apply +0.7dB gain to the left speaker at Roon/Speaker Setup with this filter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g_RK41JIyVLzbyCcXme3k8slNQQXhjFp/view?usp=sharing

Yes, my hi-fi is in our lounge and there is only one place that the speakers will fit. The left speaker is farther away than the right. I already have +2.1 dB on the left speaker and -2.1 on the right. Do I have to add the extra +0.7 to the left?
Thank you for the files, I will try them out later.

An additional delay would be in order for the closer speaker to achieve a better stereo image - level adjustments alone do not adequately compensate - unless it’s baked into the convolution already.

You nailed it! I redid the measurements and it worked much better. Can you review my latest and see if I missed anything? Thanks again!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JE0tJGQHcPareSCZeV0o3wosbVRlKq4K/view?usp=sharing

I am out at the moment but will check later this evening…

No problem, Thanks again Serkan!

All seems fine with your measurements and filters, sound must have improved.

I created faster versions for you:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zwXicxg2tKNGphtELTdMswGOkKSDdDy-/view?usp=sharing

Yeah, understood. Amazing what a difference dialing In the spaeaker distance difference makes as well. All of these free tweaks are getting much more sophisticated and powerful. We wouldn’t be here without a community for guidance, let alone the people who write free software, the people who understand how to use it and impart their knowledge.
Five years ago, I could not have known that I would, one day, be able to manipulate the output of my system to match my very own room, and the fact that I can, blows my mind.
The hint that there may be more to come from a collaboration between Serkan and John. I can’t wait.

1 Like

Yes Dirac and REW are very close now to the same. Very clean, great sound stage. I am very excited because doing room correction through ROON will allow me to use an external DACs and not have to bring the audio through my ADC/DAC DIRAC processing in my RMC-1 (Emotiva). Thanks again for taking the time to review my measurements! Really Appreciate the help!! What is the “faster version” you posted? Is this a convolution file I should try? How did you create it?

Hi Serkan. Thank you so much for the files. They stopped the radio skipping problem.
I can replicate the problem by going back to my original attempt, so you’ve fixed it.

Convolution files have given me the biggest easily audible upgrade I’ve heard for a long time and I still can’t believe that it’s free.

1 Like

İt’s just a trimmed down version of the filter you’ve created. The pauses when skipping between tracks will be shorter and you can upsample to DSD without buffering.

Yes, I saw reflection differences and lower volume of the left speaker. If I knew it was delayed (thought the mic was a little off centre), would have checked the effects of that.

I noticed that straight away, going between different bit rates. Much smoother.

1 Like