I am trying to understand if it is possible to change the album grouping without loosing the identification.
I just added Surfing’ USA (Mono&Stere) MQA from Tidal. This is the Analogue Productions edition but when comes in Roon it is not identified as such. The metadata are missing the review and the genres. I tried to identify manually but this particular edition is not available so I settled for the Capitol Emi cd release. I get back review and genres.
Now I would like to separate the mono and stereo in 2 different disc (Disc1 - Mono , Disc2 - Stereo) This is something very easy and basic to do in iTunes, but here I am fighting for a good 30 minutes.
I can select the tracks I want to be in the second disc, and do group tracks, from there I can move them to a second disc but then Roon creates a new album. If then I got there to merge the 2 the identification of the album get lost and revert back to the one I got when imported in Roon. If I re-identify the album I get back exactly from where I started, an identified single album.
I would like to identify an album and then do internal grouping of disc, is this possible?
I was able to make it work, but not without some “fudging”. Generally, in order to get Roon metadata, you need to Identify the album. In this case, there isn’t a match to a 2 disc set, with Mono in one and Stereo in the other.
However, to make it work:
- In the a album view, click the 3 dots menu and click Edit and then select Fix Track Grouping
- In the right column, check the boxes next to tracks 13-24
- Above the column, select Move to Disc # and select New Disc and type in 2 and then click Move 12 Tracks
- On the left column, left click anywhere on Disc 2. On the right column, click the X at the top right and select Re-Number Tracks. You want Disc 2 tracks to be 1-12, not 13-24.
- At the bottom right, click Create Album (2 Discs, 24 Tracks)
Now, I think you got this far previously. Anyway, now we need to Identify the album.
- Click the 3 dots icon and select Edit. Then click Identify.
- Select the March 23, 1963 Surfin’ USA album.
- Click the right arrow under the album artwork and show 4 of 8.
- Scroll down and you’ll see that there are only 12 tracks Identified, with white boxes around the remaining tracks.
- In those remaining tracks you want to replace Disc 1 track 13 with Disc 2 track 1. The next one with disc 2 track 2, and so on. It’ll say 20 tracks don’t match, but don’t worry about it.
- Click Save and you should have what you want.
However, one last thing. Under Disc 1, you will see that the track names don’t have [Mono] after them. Disc 2 will have [Stereo], so they’re ok. So, to fix this:
- To the right of Disc 1 Track 1, click the 3 dots icon and select Edit and the the Edit Track tab.
- At the top, there’s the track name. Click in the blank Edit box and type Surfin’ U.S.A. [Mono]
- Click Save at the bottom and move on to the other tracks.
You may want to Edit the Album as well and select the Album Name as (Mono and Stereo).
That should do it. It’s a lots of work, but I can’t think of another way to do it, and getting all the metadata.
Thanks a lot Greg,
I got closed but I missed how to identify the album making it a double.
However… I have do say that this is a quite convoluted way to achieve something that I would imagine should be a quite standard feature. Perhaps having the possibility to identify the album and then being able to do some changes to the Disc grouping should be considered for future releases of Roon.