Creative SB X-Fi audio card - No Sound via Roon

Yes the high-end audio card is Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD. If you know of a more high end PC audio card, please let me know.

As I said, there is no other app running.

I just tried the following test:

1. Play a piece of music in VLC
  2. Start playing another piece of music in foobar2000.

Both players are happily playing their piece of music, completely ignoring that there is another player playing. I can here BOTH pieces of music on top of each other.

So why is Roon choking on this, whereas other leading players are happily playing the music?

Turn off exclusive mode?

Not meaning to hijack a support thread. I have probably gone through 30 PC audio cards in my career as a PC audio/home theater enthusiast. I’ve tried many of them, including the highest end version Sounblasters with all the fancy breakout boxes, and my take is that there are a lot of better PC audio cards for music – Soundblasters are not bad but they’re general purpose and also compatible with video games etc. They are a little noisy and a little dull relative to the best PC internal audio sound.

M Audio makes some good prosumer cards (not so good for video games etc.) – you can find a used 24/192 card for nearly nothing – and I also really liked the ESI Juli@ card. Their analog out was OK but the SPDIF digital outs were the cleanest I have found.

Some of those are ancient now, but very few manufacturers are still making consumer audio cards anymore; the market has moved on.

My take is you will do best with a USB or network DAC and avoid the internal sound card entirely.

Hi @Goran_Janevski ---- Thank you for the follow up!

I had a chance to discuss this thread in further detail with team and they have suggested the following:

1. Please close Roon on Win10 de vice.

2. From the Win10 device manager, please temporarily disable the “Creative ASIO” driver.

3. Launch Roon again and test with “exclusive mode” disabled.

-Eric

Exclusive mode on or off, makes no difference. Roon just thinks the audio card is in use.

What zone/output specifically are you playing to?

Hello Goran,

I have the same setup as you. Attached are screen shots of my setup. I have the DSP Engine totally disabled on my configuration. I do not know if this could be the issue or not.

Hope this helps

–MD

1 Like

Hi @eric, thank you for your response.

It is not possible to disable the ASIO driver in Windows, only in Roon remote.

But alas, @MikeD prompted me to look through all the sound card settings, and while doing that I noticed that it was set for 5.1 speakers.

I changed that to 2.0, and it working now!

I want to put a big caution here, because it was also working 3 days ago for a brief amount of time. Let’s see if it can consistently work.

Thank you Eric, and thank you MikeD, and also thank everyone else who replied, I am overwhelmed by the community support.

If this holds and Roon can run in a continuous, stable fashion, I will be getting the lifetime membership. I will also be building a ROCK/NUC/whatever you call it.

Thank you kindly,
Goran

P.S. What’s the deal on 5.1 channel support on Roon? I also have a nice SACD collection.

Hi @MikeD,

Thank you so much for posting your settings, it definitely helped! In the end it turned out to be the number of channel setting. I had it for 5.1 channels, and when I changed it to 2.0, all of a sudden it started working. I did not change anything else or reboot anything!

Thank you very much,
Goran

1 Like

The one which is associated with the audio card.

Glad to have helped. By the way as you might already know, this is really a very nice sound card for a PC.

–MD

Hi Goran. I’m glad you got your sound working. The reason I asked the question about which zone you are playing to is, according to the picture of your Roon audio settings above, you have each of 4 different drivers or audio modes configured as separate zones (ASIO, WASAPI, SYSTEM). You only need one and should only be playing to one at a time on the same card. That could have been the reason for your troubles, so that’s why I asked.

You might want to disable all the ones you’re not using.

I know, it is not a coincidence that I own two of them!

Thank you @James_I, I intuitively knew that I should disable all but one, but I did not know about the zones.

That was new and useful information to me.

Thank you,
Goran

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.