Crowdfunding - Tallulah Rendall

Can I do this? I have no financial interest here.
Tallulah Rendall has a pledge campaign which I am posting a link to. She is an amazing artist who I know a lot of people will enjoy if you hear her, or better still see her perform.
To call her unique is an understatement.

Mods, I hope it’s ok to promote great music.

1 Like

Hi Chris,
Mods are thinking about this. We’ll post here again after discussing.

Well perhaps whilst we’re waiting for the mods we could have a discussion about crowdfunding music generally, this being the music section. No mention of RAVENNA is allowed.

I’ve crowdfunded in a couple of different ways, both album recordings but also on a per song basis via Patreon.

Sweet Billy Pilgrim crowdfunded their last album (Motorcade Amnesiacs) which I got involved in, as did the fabulous Katzenjammer with their “recorded straight to vinyl” Gearbox Sessions.

Sweet Billy Pilgrim came up with a slightly grungier sound than I was expecting but the result was great and my name was in the credits (“yay”).

Any change in sound can be disconcerting for a fan. My worst disappointment was the Husky Rescue gig I went to where they decided to swap their trademark sound for a drum ‘n’ bass extravaganza that killed every melody they’d ever written.

Sadly Katzenjammer have changed their line up since their release of the Gearbox Sessions, as the old one was simply the best display of group musicianship I’d ever seen at a gig. One very pleasant surprise on the Gearbox Sessions was the digital download that came with the vinyl was 24/96.

My Patreon experience is different. Typically these pledge a set sum per track rather than funding an album. This makes the result less tangible and whilst I get free tickets for Gabby Young gigs I find that the use of too many other social media outlets (I do not do Facebook, for example) can dilute the experience slightly.

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

We don’t have a problem with people discussing crowdfunding music or other projects. It’s not very different from talking about a forthcoming album available on pre-order and it’s a funding model that sees a lot more of our money getting into musicians’ hands.

Like any other topic we’d like to keep discussion in a sensible place with a readily searchable title, so I’ve shifted this thread into Music/Artists and changed the title in a way we’d encourage people to use when starting other crowdfunding threads.

If someone were to start spamming crowdfunding posts into unrelated threads then we’d certainly shift or delete them. We’d also ask people to be transparent about any interest they may have in a crowdfunding project. But otherwise let’s talk about the artists we support, how we support them and why we like their music

Thanks for starting the discussion Chris.

5 Likes

It’s good to have this clear. Well done mods.

As for Tallulah, I have seen her close up a few times now and she is like no one else. She is one of those artists that if you see her live you will get so much more from her recordings. This is why I put the post up unsure as to wether it’s permitted. She is not just another artist with a pledge campaign, she is a ‘One Off’.

1 Like