Cubbit - Cloud storage for free kickstarter (no monthly fee)

Yeah mine is working with a travel adapter

What is the advantage of this vs having your own private “cloud” with a compatible NAS (or whatever other solution)?

File redundancy.

Cloud basically means someone else’s computer as opposed to a nas that is yours (on prem).

You don’t need someone else’s computer for file redundancy. A RAID 1 (or variations) setup is redundancy enough for a normal in the head user (joke).

But indeed you may get some kind of redundancy if your router or internet breaks for example and you need external access right in that moment. I still don’t see a real advantage.

I also saw on the Cubbit site that they are targeting the business sector in the future, I sincerely doubt that any serious in the head (still joking) business is going to keep data on some random consumer level infrastructure.

I know what raid 1 is. It doesn’t protect from fire or theft.

It all depends how much your files mean to you and how convenient you want the solution to be.

The business idea doesn’t have my sold either to be honest.

Edit - for the record i use a nas daily and wouldn’t be without it. A cubbit isn’t a replacement at this time.

The redundancy would be off-site which has its advantages over a NAS.

If you have to point out your jokes you can be fairly confident they aren’t funny.