Curating Roon = rabbit hole

So having switched over to Roon late last year after 10 years of using Logitech Media Server I now find myself spending a God awful amount of time curating my very large music library. Roon has done a very good job of “identifying” about 80% of the music in my collection but that still leaves quite a bit of “unidentified” music in my collection.

Of course manually trying to identify albums is a fairly time consuming process and once I get started on the task I tend to fall down the rabbit hole only emerge hours later with a glassy eyed and dazed look.

Anyway I’ve noticed a few patterns within Roon with respect to how albums get identified (or not). Here are few examples.

First there are all the bootlegs, from unissued but very well circulated Grateful Dead shows to recording of European jazz concerts that were broadcast on the radio, both of which Roon fails to identify.

Then there are officially issued concert recordings which I’ve named differently than the metadata provider. For example Phish “Madison Square Garden, New York, NY December 30th, 2015” (the way I named the album) versus Phish “12/30/2015 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY” (the way Roon/metadata provider likes it to be named).

Followed by all the officially issued (not bootleg) European jazz albums in my collection that Roon/metadata provider has no knowledge of. I have lots of these albums.

Which brings us to the albums that when manually identified produce a match but with no track times listed in metadata. Really? Why can’t these album be identified by Roon?

Moving along we get the various mutli disc sets that I’ve either grouped differently than Roon would like or made by combining several separate volumes into one. e.g. “Best of volume 1” and Best of Volume 2" combined into Best of Volumes 1 & 2". I still have no idea how to solve this later issue. Help anyone?

While down in the rabbit hole I’ve learned how to deal with some of the issued outlined above but not all of them. I did make a feature request for there to a third identity category to go along with identified and unidentified, which would be something along the lines of “possible match found”, which would help with many of the issues listed above.

Anyway I’ve spent enough time above ground so now back down the rabbit hole I go.

1 Like

I have many bootlegs from gigs we record. I apply my data in id3 tags prior to uploading to ROON.
This works every time and then I may add artists etc within Roon.
It’s a lot of work however you do it but I don’t see how Roon can do anything about unreleased and not commercially available music. The price we have to pay for exclusive material.
What would help is if we could add more than one instrument to an artist at one time. Also to be able to add our own reviews or data.

I totally understand this and I wasn’t complaining about Roon with respect to bootlegs (or whatever one calls them). It’s the possible matches of commercially available recordings that get most of my ire.

You can edit the multi disc albums and group them any way you’d like. It’s manual labor, but it is very flexible.

and as Chris said, properly tagged files will travel much better from platform to platform.

I still tag all my files as if I was still using foobar; hope springs eternal that Roon will someday support more custom tagging options :slight_smile: but in the meantime good tagging will reduce the amount of messing with roon’s metadata that you need to do. I have hundreds of bootlegs and had to do very little during the transition. A couple got borked but that was more about me screwing up something years ago then roon lol.

I’m thinking that you may not be fully understanding me. Roon very successfully found all of the files and music in my library. What I’m referring to is the “identified” function, which as I’m understanding it bring the metadata, as opposed to just the tags, into the database. So things like producer, engineer, recording dates, etc. are then in Roon’s database. These things are not present in my file tags which are on the simple or austere side,

Metadata providers are extremely variable with respect to what they provide for a particular album, unfortunately. There’s much information in many CDs inserts and booklets that did not make it to the metadata providers for whatever obscure reasons. The worst problem I see these days are digital downloads from a range of (smaller) jazz and classical labels that lack key ID3 tags, sometimes have to tags at all. One can understand that metadata was not published by labels 30 years ago, but today? Seems pure negligence.

Perfect metadata, readily available. We can dream, can’t we?