Custom track ratings

I sympathize with those points. It would be great to know where on the roadmap importing custom embedded metatags might be, if at all.

4 Likes

I for one would love individual track ratings. Iā€™ve mentioned this in other threads. This still makes Jriver the best method to listen to my collection. There are days I just want to listen to say Metal music, OK press play and hit favorites. That narrows it down to the ones I like but thatā€™s still 2100 tracks. With star ratings (whatever you call it) I can say just play 3 stars or better in the Metal Genre. This narrows it down to about 450 tracks or 5 stars 132 tracks. There are days I only want to hear the best of the best when friends come over they want to hear the popular stuff, this makes it easier.

This makes an even bigger difference when your combining genres. In my Roon/Tidal library I have 16,008 favorites out of 35,000 tracks. Thus, having a rating system allows for quicker access to the ones I love, when I want to hear them. I love the diversity that Roon has with Focus but it still lacks that cheery on top with individual track ratings.

Just think, if Iā€™m trying to make my personal radio station out of my favorites, I want the ones that I love the best playing, or at least 3 or better stars playing. Thereā€™s a rare album that all tracks have equal footing, especially say all are 5 stars.

My track rating system is different from others

0 stars = No impact on me
1 star = Classical music only
2 stars = song that are familiar to everyone or I like
3 stars = better then average on that album
4 stars = best of the album
5 stars = Audiophile sound quality for me, I might not even like the song but it sounds great on my system.

I love Roon, but use it only for listening to full albums and discovery. Jriver I use for streaming away from home and for all random and mix playlists.

4 Likes

I would like to have a rating per song, not just for the entire album.
And then to be able to do a search based on that rating. E.g. all 5 star songs, all 4 star songs, etcā€¦

2 Likes

Oh ! Thatā€™s a great idea ! :wink:

Pretty sure thereā€™s one in for this already. I know at least one person whoā€™s keen (@Brian69)

Hi, Iā€™ve merged your request into this existing topic.

So, 2 years ago this feature was requested first.
Since then not even a reaction from the developers in this thread.
I think itā€™s save to say that this has no priority (and probably never will comeā€¦)

JRiver is way better in this regard. So Iā€™m hesitating if I will change my trial to a paid subscription, certainly not to a lifetime license.

It would be great if we could hear what the ideas of the developing team are on this point :wink:

4 Likes

just use tags, create a tag called 5 star and add your 5 star songs to this. Repeat as desired.

Then you can search to your hearts content.

There are many ways to skin a cat as they say and Roon is full of them, very hard to see all the possibilities during the trial.

.sjb

2 Likes

Just creating a tag and adding 5 star songs is not the point. You can just make any playlist at that rate. Plus, going through my entire collection to decide which ones to add any playlist is pointless, how exhausting would that be every time Iā€™m trying to find the better songs on an album to play.

What 1-5 star ratings give you is flexibility. So In Jriver I have Playlists for 2 stars or better, 3 stars or better ectā€¦ I can have only 2,3,4 or 5 star ratings. This becomes indispensable when combing genres, If you have a large library thereā€™s no way Iā€™m ever going tot hear my entire collection. So when I want to listen to something I like, I can be very specific. Even listening to my top 200 or 300 songs would take sometime. Thereā€™s days I want to hear 5 star metal or 3 stars or more metal, this gives me much more immediate satisfaction than the current set up.

I guess If you a big library its a no brainer, if your library is small, then it doesnā€™t matter. Donā€™t get me wrong to change everything would take some time but Iā€™d just copy what I have on Jriver, this still would take about a week to go through all my tracks.

Not sure why this is even difficult, just add it to the Focus area. Yes thereā€™s code to write but this is what they do.

4 Likes

Tags will give much more flexibility than a playlist but I take your point-youā€™ve already have these songs rated and want that kept in Roon.

I never rated songs so have no need for this. I quite like the current system which is in effect a 3 grade rating probably approximating to 1,3 and 5 stars in old currency.

To implement what you want will necessitate undoing the system that many of us use in Roon. Things are rarely as simple as a piece of code.

I wouldnā€™t have thought there was any 5 star metal anyway ? ( ducks!)

.sjb

1 Like

Thanks everybody for the adviceā€¦

Tags seem a good idea. Itā€™s a lot of workā€¦ :frowning:
Hopefully these tags will work in other programs as well.
Itā€™s a bit frustrating to do all this work every time you change to another program.

1 Like

I set myself up with that one. LOL :grinning:

Moving to Roon I thought that one of the things I would miss is the track ratings. However without it I find that I am listening to much more of my library and rediscovering things I had forgotten rather than listening to the same old favorites much of the time. I am also finding it a relief not to have to obsessively rate every track.

Also I find my ratings change with:

• mood, (sometimes I am just not into something, other times I am)
  • system (I ranked most of my tracks whilst travelling using headphones and some tracks make a very different impression on a full rig)
  • time ā€¦ yes my preferences do change over the years.

So overall Iā€™m not missing track ratings much. Not arguing against adding this feature, just offering a different perspective which might help some of you while you wait :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LOL. Itā€™s the other way round: track ratings combined with smart playlist capability PREVENT us from ā€œlistening to the same old favoritesā€. One of the main reasons I use them every day is actually being capable of rediscover things in my library.

1 Like

We cannot be the only ones with this request ā€¦ :hushed:

Roon need to just buy JRiver, integrate and be done!

For all the reasons above, I use JRiver to maintain my music library, rate songs and have a myriad of smart playlists.
I also sit back with my iPad + DAC and JRemote and listen to ā€œunratedā€ music and rate awayā€¦but I miss Roonā€™s verbiage as I listen.
(Roon also needs to be able to make iOS devices endpoints, but thats another feature request!)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an altogether nonsensical suggestion. Far easier and cheaper to roll their own code, but like everything it has to fit somewhere on a priorities continuum, if (and only if) a decision is made to add the requested functionality).

Are you sure? Why is there no statement like: we are on it, it doesnā€™t fit to our philosophy or itā€™s on our list with very low priority?

For me and many others evaluating the software itā€™s essential to know if such features will come to Roon in the future or not. If yes, I will support the development by paying the rental. If not, I donā€™t want to use this very expensive software and look elsewhere or try to find a different workflow.

The price model is not designed to get what I pay for, but to constantly support the development and the lives of the developers.

1 Like

Yes.

Thatā€™s really a question for Roon to answer. However, Roon tend to only comment on a request when either it is totally off the table or itā€™s release is imminent.

Thanks @Carl. That helps me a lot with my decision.