Cyrus Audio Pre2DAC and Tidal Streaming

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR, CPU AMD A12 9720P RADEON, RAM 8GB, connected in WIFI through router HUAWEI (Hybrid Access gateway) mod. HA 35-10.

The Laptop is connected to Cyrus Audio Pre2DAC QXR via USB cable.TIDAL HIFI used for streaming MQA music. Cyrus Audio Ltd “USB Audio Device Control Panel” app is autoinstalled (ASIO Compatible)

Description Of Issue

When I use the TIDAL Desktop App, with MQA Passthrough enabled, the DAC display shows the sample rate (e.g. 88.1k, 96k…). When I stream via ROON there is no way to see the effective sample rate (I see the one by default given by windows setup, 384k). By the way, the DAC is no recognized by ROON (when I try to enable it, it replays "Installation Failed). I tried any setup combination but no way to see the actual sample rate on DAC display, I can only trust what is shown in the Signal Path… The final portion of the path is OUTPUT SYSTEM and the light is light blue, not purple). When playing MQA songs, the signal path is lossless up to THIS LAPTOP and then light blue on SYSTEM OUTPUT.

Hi @Giovanni_Raiano,

Welcome to the forum!

This suggests that you’re using your System Output to send audio to the DAC (through the Operating System Mixer) instead of using the native DAC driver.

This is the main issue at hand here. Can you please share a screenshot of the error message and a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab?

Do you see multiple audio drivers that you can enable in Roon Settings -> Audio? Is the behavior the same if you try to enable either the WASAPI or ASIO driver for this DAC?

Continuing the discussion from Cyrus Audio Pre2DAC and Tidal Streaming:

Hello,
something changed. I did not make anything but naming the DAC. Roon started to recognize the DAC, in two ways, two drivers, as ASIO and WASAPI…
By the way, at the moment I shot the PrintScreen, the DAC identified as ASIO is not enabled. It was but not now. It says “enabling”, while the first one “DAC” works.

screen1

However, ROON cannot provide the DAC with the full sampling rate. E.g the song is authenticated at 192k but the software does not go over 96K.
My DAC Display shows 96K, indeed. Is there something I must change in the setup? Actually, I tried almost everything.

scree2

screen1

Coming to your last question. Yes, both drivers were almost working in the same way (with different settings, actually). As I said, not now because only one is working.

Hi @Giovanni_Raiano,

For future reference, please use these instructions to upload screenshot to this Community site. The ones you uploaded came through, but the quality is very low, so reading information from them is quite difficult.

As for the issue itself, it looks like the David Bowie Space Oddity album is FLAC 48 with MQA up to 192 if the DAC supports MQA Decoding. I took a look over the Cyrus Manual and I’m not seeing any mentions of MQA, so I do not believe that this can decode MQA unless you are aware of different capabilities than the manual.

If the DAC does not support MQA Decoding, then Roon can only perform the first unfold, which is noted in your Signal Path as MQA Core Decorder, so this aspect is working properly.

Since the WASAPI driver works as expected but the ASIO one does not, you may need to install the Cyrus driver, according to their site, here is a direct link:

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Cyrus_UsbAudio_v4.59.0_2019-01-29_setup.zip

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.