D2 vs U1 Mini -Which One?

have used the Berkeley Alpha Dac and the Berkeley Reference Dac for many years now. they are great dacs- quiet musical.
have matched them with aurender n10, then SOTM SMS200 ultra. Looking forward to matching them with the Lumin…

1 Like

Hello Peter I’m considering buying one of the 2 in the future…I have a Naim DAC V1…which one do u suggest and why?
Also it’s my DAC that relevant with Lumin streamers or I can simply get it from out my hi-fi music chain?

Thnx

Unless your DAC provides features you currently have to use (especially inputs and outputs) that are not provided by the D2, I’d encourage you to try it. You may see whether you like the SQ of D2 after burn-in better. Hopefully it can replace your current DAC. Even if not, you may still use BNC-SPDIF output of D2 to your current DAC using a BNC to RCA coaxial cable.

D2 offers balanced XLR output if your (current or future) amp has that input. D2 also offers MQA if you subscribe to Tidal.

If you determine to keep your current DAC for functional or SQ preference, then you may consider the U1 MINI.

I am also thinking of a separate streamer and the D2 is on the radar as is Altair G1,
Currently using Roon on a Nuc and USB to H190.
Is the D2 being retired in the near future?
I think the swedish dealer offers the possibility to test the United at home but not sure.
Other advice is greatly appreciated.
Hav e good day.
/Tommy

No plan to be replaced.

We have a D2 user here with a Hegel.

Hello :grinning: @Tommy_Gustavsson - I use a D2 with an H360 (Balanced out) - I’d suggest trying the combination as @wklie suggests and seeing what you think - I’m very happy with it. I’ve made a few observations on my experience of the combination here.

Many thanks, i Will contact the swedish dealer after the holidays,
I really like the look of the D2

1 Like

Great, enjoy your trial :grinning: FWIW I’ve found that I’ve settled on using upsampling with it via Roon (Power of 2 PCM 192 Max, Precise/Linear phase) - of course this preference is entirely subjective!

Hello i have question i have dac Denafrips Pontus. Amp is unison unico primo.

I want to buy streamer to Tidal. I want to buy
lumin D2 or lumin U1 mini.

And want to connect him to denapris

The qualitty of sound will be the same on Lumin d2 and U1 mini??

I want only to have better sound i dont care about the dac of Lumin D2.

Or the sound will be the same ?

Greetings.

Michal

For connection to external DAC, use U1 MINI. It will be better.

2 Likes

Hi wklie.

I am in the market to get either a Lumin U1 mini or a D2.

It will be used with a Naim XS2 integrated amplifier. I want a Dac/Streamer combo. Are both the U1 mini and the D2 streamer/dac combos. It seems like the U1 mini is only a Dac from what I read in this forum. Correct me if I am wrong. Also I have a tidal subscription so can the D2 fully decode the MQA content? I read about decoding and unfolding. Does tidal unfold and the D2 decode? I just want to be prepared that I go with the correct unit as I do want to take advantage of MQA in tidal so its highest sample high res rate. Will it just do up to 24/96 or will it go higher to 192? I don’t think there is much for MQA past 24/96 anyways bit I have not peeked around much yet it tidal. Thanks

The U1 mini is a streamer only, and the D2 is a streamer/DAC. D2 will fully handle MQA (unfold and render) so it will handle whatever sample rate is in the MQA file (up to 384kHz I assume), and will play native DSD up to 128 and native PCM up to 384kHz. Note D2 does not have any other digital inputs other than ethernet (USB input is for attached file storage only). I’m sure @wklie can correct me if any of this is wrong and provide any further info.

Hi Rockhound.

Thanks kindly for the info. As far the no other digital inputs, what sources would a person be missing? Possibly a CD player but anything else? You could still use another Dac with this unit if you wanted to on the digital output. Any other digital devices that may not be able to be used? Being that it is a streamer and a Dac I think for my purposes that is all I would need but you may have other info.
On a different topic, for flat, DSD and any other high res files, I am sure I can just use a NAS drive plugged into one of the USB A ports. Will these all sync with the Lumin App/Interface and show up in thr music library with all of the Metadata and artwork? Also, if I run roon will everything appear in Roon? I would assume so.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Hi Chris, yes you could certainly use another DAC for additional digital inputs - I use the DAC in my Hegel H190 to plug my CD transport (which never gets used these days). I just mentioned it as some people see streaming DAC and think it has other digital inputs and that could be an expensive mistake.

I would certainly assume that an external USB drive connected to the T2 would show up the music in the Lumin app with all metadata, album covers, etc. - although I have never done it as all my music is on a networked NAS - which does of course show up in the Lumin app as do all my Tidal faves. Everything also shows up in Roon - local files, Tidal and, if you have it, Qobuz. The thing is literally plug and play, make a few settings in the Lumin app and away you go. The Lumin app is also excellent, but I use Roon exclusively except for making firmware updates on the T2. Also, it is ethernet only, no wifi.

Hi Rockhound. So basically just a CD player is all I would miss as far as plugging into the D2? What else can you think?

And ya I would be using either an external drive or a NAS drive for all of my music files.

Chris

Being that the D2 is a streamer and needs to be hard wired with an ethernet cable, what other digital devices besides a CD player would I need to plug into it if it had a digital input? Just making sure I am not missing anything as yes you are right it is a big price to pay to be looking back if you need a certain option.

Chris

Only an issue if your CD player is just a transport without a DAC. I guess some folks take an SPDIF out from their TV or cable box if they don’t have an AVR, something like that.

Ohhh yes there you have it. My TV. I won’t be able to plug that into it.

But I guess I can still plug it into my integrated amplifier not.

Wouldn’t sound that good probably as you would only be using the crappy DAC in the TV and then into the Naim XS2?

Hmmm

You could pick up a cheap DAC to take care of that - something like a Topping D30?

Thats a good point.

Thanks.