DAC has trouble locking when switching file formats

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC icore7 w/ROCK
Roon 1.8 (build 764)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet, comcast hi speed >100MBps

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

NUC—> Allo Digione w/SPDIF connection —> REGA DAC-R

Description Of Issue
I’m having trouble locking a stable DAC signal when switching formats during, for instance, shuffle play of a playlist. This problem is especially acute when 192kHz tracks are included in a playlist where the signal fails to lock properly when going from lower sampling rate to the higher res. The DAC sputters, in addition to audible clicks during playback. I can always get it to lock by stopping the track and waiting until the DAC clears, then restarting the track.This behavior obviously eliminates my ability to listen to assembled playlists, and/or Roon Radio selections. I have what I assumed was a high quality spdif cable connected (audioquest). Also, I’ve attempted to introduce a 1-3 second delay in playback on the digione streamer (resync delay) to promote stable signal locking, but the issue persists. Let me know your thoughts.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Curiously, another user on a different thread was reporting a similar issue with a DigiOne and a Schiit Modi DAC. Just for context, I use Pi2AES-based streamers with Ropieee and I never needed to tweak the resync delay. Rate changes just happen.

1 Like

@Kip_Conner @Fernando_Pereira

I am that user with the Schiit DAC, same problems, so I think the fault is the Allo DigiOne device. Have already contacted Allo about that problem.

1 Like

@erho @Fernando_Pereira thank you for your reply. Please let me know what allo suggests. I’ve also found some discussion that it could be the REGA DAC-R, but I’ve not had access to an alternate to test this hypothesis.

Never had rate change issues on my Schitt Modi Multi.

Hey @Kip_Conner,

It’s great to see you back on community - thanks for reaching out. Please, accept my apologies for the late reply - as you may know, we’re working our way through quite the number of requests and it is taking us longer than we had hoped.

It turns out that for @erho the issue was a defective unit:

Are you still experiencing interrupted playback?

1 Like

@beka

NO, sorry, my Modi 3+ is not a defective unit as Schiit told me, it is normal for them, so the Schiit Modi 3+ is ■■■■ in this regard.

I’ve owned Bifrost (original and multibit) and Yggdrasil (original and A2) and I never experienced that problem. All of them used the same kind of relay-based rate switching. What you describe is not normal, whatever Schiit says.

Hey @erho,

Thanks for the swift reply. While I cannot make an educated comment on the integrity of your device, I can certainly get our technician’s help who will have more insight as far as Roon is concerned.

They will follow up on this thread - it is now in their queue :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.