DAC or Combined DAC Streamer (not just a streamer) What's good?

Unknown to you perhaps but they have been around for 10 years and tend to get very good reviews.

Ok fair enough. But Dave doesnā€™t have a house sound. If you ever have a chance to listen to give it a try. Regards

1 Like

Yes, this whole thing is very different. I feel the same way when buying a $10 cable on AliExpress or a $1000+ item from Vinshine. I will say that Vinshine stands behind its stuff, at least they have a decent track record if you search around. Shenzen Audio (which is where youā€™d likely get a Gustard from) doesnā€™t seem to leave people high and dry, but theyā€™re certainly a different size/scale/personal touch outfit from Vinshine. Not casting doubt - but I havenā€™t ordered anything more expensive than a pair of $200 IEMs from Shenzen. Those came exactly as expected. Iā€™d presume the same ordering a Gustard from them - but if you donā€™t like it, youā€™re out on the secondary market. To be honest, I feel that way about lots of stuff these days though - even when I buy a piece of Schiit which is made in the US and the service is fabulous, if I decide after 15 days that I donā€™t like it, Iā€™m out on the secondary market to sell it. Shenzen Audio maintains an Amazon storefront in the US, and if you order through them you have some of the leverage of Amazonā€™s volume - if youā€™re a big Amazon customer and you run your complaint through Amazon you can get a good response sometimes when you otherwise might not. But I wouldnā€™t hesitate to make your first ChiFi purchase - itā€™s a great channel, often great product - especially if reviewers who you truly trust are positive. Usually you can get taken care of if there are real issues, and if you just donā€™t like the product, youā€™d be on your own anyways.

1 Like

I got my SMSL SU9 DAC from them came in 3 days which I was shocked at. I got stitched for import duty which was supposed to be included, I emailed them and the refunded me it in less than 24 hours. So not bad service, they have store in Amazon to which is where I ordered it via.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Recommendation for a streamer

Mods, why have you merged a totally unrelated topic with mine? Iā€™m now having to filter out lots of chat about streamers that Iā€™m not even slightly Interested in. @Carl

Hi @David_Crosbie1,

The title of the topic you created is

ā€œDACā€™s, Streamers, Whatā€™s good?ā€

So Iā€™m a bit confused that you are objecting to there being a discussion about streamers.

I can revert the merge but I think the this topicā€™s title also needs changing to reflect your interest ā€¦ what would you suggest?

Iā€™m looking for a combined dac and streamer. Not just a streamer, which is what the other thread was about.

Given the whole topic so far has been primarily about dacs. I would have thought that my intentions were reasonably transparent

Thanks for the clarification, I performed the merge based on the topicā€™s title.

Topic title now updated and 4 posts moved.

1 Like

Iā€™ve lost the plot with this thread.

You seem to have dismissed every contribution so far. What exactly are you asking?

Far from it, Iā€™ve been looking into the gustard r26

If anyone has any other good options Iā€™m happy to listen to. Sadly a Ā£7500 dac isnā€™t an option to a Ā£3000 budget, and the Lumin is offering basically the same spec as my Ā£1100 dac but charging 3x as much for it.

So looking for suggestions for well made well engineered streamer / dacs with proper construction. Not switch mode power supplies and preferably not just another off the shelf ESS chip.

Sadly still missing the mark as Iā€™m not only willing to look at combined, but also standalone dacs. Itā€™s just a standalone streamer that is no good to me. But we can leave it as is and see what comes of it.

A bit of advice. I speak from experience. Buy this:

Then when you have Ā£5.5k spare, upgrade to the Organik board. Endgame. End of thread.

Otherwise flagellate between subjective expressions of other peopleā€™s opinions. Until you stick with what you have already. Perhaps thatā€™s the solution?

2 Likes

I can considered looking into the LINN options, will add to my research pile

Updated, letā€™s have it right to avoid further misunderstanding and to get you the best advice.

Good look with your quest.

3 Likes

Probably a niche demand there. I imagine adding the network capability drives the manufacturing cost up enough that adding the volume control is a no-brainer in terms of how it expands the potential market.

My Topping D70 has a DAC-only mode which cuts out the minimal preamp in it, but does not have network connectivity. I use a RoPieee box and USB to stream to it.

1 Like

Iā€™m not against the concept of going with a pi for sure. If the standalone DAC is worth it.

A few great ideas so far, Iā€™ll see how many I can demo easily

Doesnā€™t have to be a Pi. I bought a Mele Quieter2D MiniPC for < $200, put Ubuntu and Roon Bridge on it, and that worked fine, too. Gives you an HDMI Roon endpoint, or you can still just use the USB outputs for a DAC.

1 Like

I also have some old HP thin clients around fanless silent boxes that run roon ROCK well enough. They can also be used as basic endpoints with usb / hdmi

Any wintel compatible processor is probably more efficient just running ROCK as endpoint only rather than a whole Linux OS with roon on top

1 Like

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right, but I doubt the difference is significant. After all, ROCK is also a Linux OS with Roon on top.

1 Like