Daily crashes on MacMini i7 with latest build

I use the MacMini mainly for Roon - so not a lot else is going on.
Now running MacOS High Sierra, but crashes started on 10.12.6 (the previous version) as well. It just happens randomly during playback while nothing is going on in the foreground.
Roon is the only app which crashes. It happens daily.
This is the first time that I see issues - have been using the software on this Mac for almost 2 years now.

Hi @Wouter_Kolkman ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are appreciated.

Moving forward, to help us understand what could be causing Roon to crash on your computer, may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

• A set of your Roon logs, using the instructions found here.

• When you notice this crashing behavior, I am assuming OSX is generating a crash report. Next time this happens please send us the OSX crash report as well.

-Eric

I’m seeing Roon lock up rather than crash. The app appears to be running, but the blue playing bar is either solid or scrolling left to right, but no sound and no controls are effective.

Last time I tried to force quit Roon in this state, it would not shut down. I ended up having to reboot the system (hard reboot).

Cheers

Where should I send the DropBox link to?

Hi @Wouter_Kolkman ----- Thank you for touching base with me! Could you please provide us with a shared dropbox link containing your logs, “here”?

-Eric

Hi @Wouter_Kolkman ---- Thank you for the follow up and the download link!

Confirming that I have received your logs, but they appear to be “RAATServer logs”. Could you kindly please re-supply a set of your Roon logs, thanks!

-Eric

Because the database is not in the location of your KB - see screenshot in DropBox folder - your KB suggests that you could require the RAATServer logs - so submitted those. Roon was installed on 10.11 I guess nearly 2 years ago. Can you please be specific regarding the Log/ database file you require? Thank you, Wouter

Hi @Wouter_Kolkman ---- Thank you for touching base with me. Let me see if I can clarify our OSX log gathering procedure.

You have mentioned the following:

“Because the database is not in the location of your KB…”

Are you not able to locate your DB on the MacMini core using the following:

1. Open Finder and click “Go” in the top bar.
  2. Hold down the Alt key to unhide the “Library” folder.
  3. Click the “Library” folder.
  4. Find and open the Roon folder (or RoonServer, if applicable).
  5. Right click “Logs”, then ‘Compress Logs’.

-Eric

Thanks Eric, the zip file is syncing now - allow for about 20 minutes:)

1 Like

Hi @Wouter_Kolkman ---- Thank you for the re-upload! Confirming that the materials have been received and are in our queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff.

Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you in a timely manor. You patience is appreciated!

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Any updates? The crashing drive me mad:(

Wouter

Hi @Wouter_Kolkman ----- Thank you for reach out.

Moving forward, our techs have informed me that they are noticing traces in your logs which indicate that there are unmanaged crashes occurring. In light of this they have asked me to gather the following information from you. Please see below.

1. What settings are you using when stream to you endpoints? Having screenshots of your “Playback” tab (found in “device settings”) woud be great.

2. How often does this crashing behavior occur (every hour, twice a day, etc.)?

3. Is there a specific file format or bit rate you are streaming (consistently) when this issue occurs?

4. As mentioned in your initial post, this seems to be a new behavior that was not present in the past. Have there been any changes made to your setup (besides the OS update) since noticing this behavior? No detail is too small.

-Eric

Hi Eric, thank you for getting back to me. My chain is just USB - via filter - to DAC - more precisely Holo Audio DAC (silver), Singxer USSB -> I2S - Mac Mini I7. This chain has been in place since April. Crashes started to happen from the last but one Roon build. No software changes other than Apple updates. Crashes happen at least daily, Playback PCM 96KHz 24bit. My music collection contains a mix of FLAC,AIFF, DSD in different formats etc.Roon is the only software that crashes.

Thanks for the feedback, @Wouter_Kolkman! Very appreciated!

Moving forward, I understand that the chain has not been altered in any way, but would like to kindly ask you to confirm if you are able to reliable reproduce this behavior using different sample rates (DSD, 48 / 44.1) in the following, two scenarios. Please see below.

1. Shortening the chain of communication. Please try mounting the DAC directly to you your MacMini via USB.

2. Built-in sound card. What is the experience like if you by pass the mentioned endpoint (Holo Audio DAC (silver), Singxer USSB -> I2S) and play directly out of the MacMini to a pair of headphones?

-Eric

Hi Eric, no changes made other than the High Sierra supplementary update, but no crashes to report. When crashes happened this included when Roon playback was paused. Fingers crossed.

1 Like