Daily mixes for non streaming users

I know I keep harping on about this but if we had an actual ALBUM shuffle feature for local files only, that might help to alleviate this situation a little.

But Danny, the selections are (in my case) 90-95% made up from tracks that are already in my local library, but chosen from Qobuz rather. (and sometimes in lower quality than locally available)

Edit: Took a look at my Daily Mix of Fleetwood Mac:

It’s a good mix, for sure. But i definently would like to “prefer locally available” with the option “even if lower rez”. :slight_smile:

Edit 2: The ones thats not in my local library still are available locally, but on vinyl! And playing those that’s a feature i’d :heart: in Roon! :smiley:

2 Likes

The roon mix should pause and an alert message should read: “Please move your ass and grab the disc X from the location Y and spin the track number Z. When finish return to this screen and click play”. What a roonkout will that be!

1 Like

I’d love to have the ability in Roon to easily swap out/convert the Tidal or Qobuz tracks in my (saved) playlists (Daily Mixes or otherwise) for local versions of those tracks (or indeed swap your Tidal tracks for Qobuz ones) via some kind of string/fuzzy matching. That way your playlists aren’t tied to a single streaming provider. In fact I opened a request for such a feature here.

But that’s feels like a separate issue to ‘Daily mixes for non-streaming users’ as you’d still need to have Qobuz/Tidal to fall back on for any track in a ‘Daily Mix’ you didn’t have locally.

In terms of 'why can’t we have a local only version of ‘Daily Mixes’. I expect the Valance ML model is trained on the entire Qobuz/Tidal catalogue along with play counts across all Roon users. That model will be large and costly to train, but you only need that one model to provide good results to all Roon users.

Training a separate a model for every Roon would be costly and return worse result as it’s training set would be that much smaller.

I can see the use case, I just think it wouldn’t get you the result you were expecting. I expect Roon realised this early on too and hence designed the feature the way they did — namely find music outside my library when provided with a selection of music in my library.

1 Like

My Daily Mixes are also often full of tracks which I already have in my Library and I would prefer Roon to use my local stuff instead of streaming. That would be at least more environment friendly not to involve the Internet if possible. Also Tidal sometime have bad mastered version of my albums.

Edit: When saving a Daily Mix as a Playlist it is even more a good choice to prefer the local tracks (think of exporting for your car).

3 Likes