Daily mixes appear to be working correctly for me again.
I relocated my core which involved a power cycle. When it came back online, I was logged out of both Tidal and Qobuz. It’s possible that this wasn’t caused by the power cycle - could have been logged out prior to that but I know they were logged in last night.
With neither Tidal nor Qobuz logged in, no Daily Mixes showed up at all - the section was missing from Home. I logged back into both services, Daily Mixes re-appeared. They are no longer updating on every app launch or refresh.
I don’t know if the change was done server side or if some combination of log out / log in fixed it, but it does seem fixed.
I’ve just restarted Roon here, and the daily mixes remain the same.
I did restart the core yesterday as it had eaten up all available RAM on my Lenovo laptop again, making Roon unresponsive to use. RoonServer seems to eat nearly 14 gb of the 16 gb of RAM after a few days, requiring a reboot to get everything working again on Linux.
I’m getting this too. Everything’s running ‘earlyaccess’ but iPhone, iPad and Windows Remotes all show different Daily Mixes on every app restart, as does ARC.
I’ve restarted the server software and the server itself, but no change.