Database Backup

Just keep in mind that when you’re making the backup, your Roon Core must be shut down.

Let me repeat that just to be 100% clear: copying your database while Roon is running will not work.

I can see that @scolley’s script does shut down RoonServer, but be aware that right now using automatic backup programs like TimeMachine, CarbonCopyCloner, CrashPlan, etc are not supported. There’s a good deal of background work happening in Roon at any given time – metadata is being updated, files are being analyzed, etc.

Shutting down Roon ensures that you’re saving a clean snapshot of the database, as opposed to bits and pieces while things are in flux, which will almost certainly result in a corrupt backup.

We’re working hard to get our automatic backup functionality fully implemented and tested, so look for that in a future release. For now, feel free to automate if you’re confident in the process, but when you set things up, I would try renaming your Roon folder and running a test restore to be sure it works as expected.

1 Like