dCS Network Bridge MQA release announcement

Interesting. I suppose you’re saving the remaining Teac VRDS for Vivaldis… Is the Denon current production?

We discovered an issue in our firmware shortly after release that caused a problem with the use of Roon’s DSP functions on an MQA stream. This came about due to a last-minute bugfix on the Roon side right before 1.5 was released. We had already completed that part of our testing using Roon’s last alpha and since we had no indication of a change we didn’t go back and re-test with the released software.

I have an updated version of the Network Bridge firmware that I’m testing now and it appears that the issue is corrected. I’ll continue testing through the weekend and assuming no issues we’ll be releasing the update early next week.

Can you give us more detail on this please?

Also, I presume this would affect Rossini as well, correct?

The latest Roon build (two days ago) fixed the issue with MQA dropouts at the beginning of the track (on Rossini).

Streams sent to the Bridge which had Roon’s DSP functions enabled were not passed to the downstream DAC with the proper MQA signaling information intact. This was an error inside the bridge.

The fix we are using is for the Bridge only as it’s the product that’s going to be connected to an external DAC that may be looking for MQA info. As mentioned in another thread the Rossini will not properly apply MQA rendering to an MQA stream with Roon’s DSP applied. This is being corrected in the Rossni’s FPGA firmware and that will be released this summer.

This is a separate issue altogether.

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for your reply

As a end user, can u explain further how fascinating the DAC rendering would be?
Frankly I m quite confused with the decoder and renderer function of the NB, DAC etc

Basically, I have a Roon server with both network out for NB streaming and USB directed to DAC

In terms of your professional understanding, how would u compare the setup of server (LAN switch) -> NB (dual AES) -> Vivaldi DAC with Server (USB) -> Vivaldi DAC on MQA processing?

Regards

We have released updated firmware for the Network Bridge to address this issue. There are no changes to the app associated with this update.

This update will yield the following versions:

Main Board: 1.00
Network Board: 375
iOS App: 1.4.8

The only change in this release is proper function when Roon’s MQA decoder is engaged. This is typically when some Roon DSP function is employed (volume leveling, EQ, room correction, etc). In this scenario the MQA signalling information is properly passed to a downstream MQA-capable DAC.

To update the bridge please do the following:

1. Within the dCS Network Bridge app go to Configuration -> Information -> Version and tap on “Check for Updates.”

2. Download and install the update when prompted. There is no need to close the app as the instructions indicate.

3. You will receive a connection error in the app when the update is in process. This is normal.

4. Check back in approximately 5 minutes. When the app can re-connect to the bridge you’ll note that the versions now state “no entries.” This indicates that a reboot of the bridge is required.

5. As long as the app can connect to the bridge you are safe to reboot it. Power off using the rear panel switch, wait 10 seconds, and power it back on.

go
according to the Gregorian calendar
the month of June (2018) has left us

Hello @AMP, i have few questions:
Can i put 0.0dB and select in menu Volume Control to Fixed?
Should I Enable MQA Core Decoder in advanced settings?

You can do this and it will disable the volume control and the volume reading in Roon. This may or may not be a good choice as other applications (dCS app, airplay, spotify) can change the volume setting and potentially not put it back to where it was. Having the level indication in Roon is useful in these scenarios.

I would leave that at its default. For an MQA stream in which Roon doesn’t need to do any DSP then Roon will send the raw stream to the Bridge for decoding. If DSP is needed (i.e. volume leveling, EQ, etc) then Roon will perform the MQA decode, apply the DSP, and then send it to the Bridge.

1 Like