Decreased volume since latest build / update

I sort of figured this would be an existing topic since the impact was so obvious for me. I’ve lost around 30db since last update, and I miss the headroom in my system.
Can someone help me with where I should start looking to fix this ?

Currently Roon 1.3 (build 234) stable 64bit

DSP volume on


Maybe another program on the linux player changed volume? Have you tried ‘set max device volume’?

okay thanks for the response!
I just tried setting that to ‘yes’ and there’s no difference.


Hi @Steve_Fleming ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us.

Moving forward, to help aide in my understanding of this behavior you are experiencing may I very kindly ask you to please provide me with the following:

  1. A brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

  2. Screenshots of:

  • The device settings you are using for the zone in question.
    (Settings - > Audio - > click the gear next to the zone and select “device setup”)

  • If you are using the DSP engine, please provide those settings as well.


Thanks for the assistance

Windows 10, Roon 1.3 build 234 stable 64bit, Lenovo Yoga I5, 4gbRAM, ssd.
USB external drive, but mosty using Tidal. DietPi . 1100 albums

I currently use ethernet to the RPi, USB to the Ifi iMicro DSD.
I have a recent update to DietPi . I could try reinstalling that to the Pi if there’s some thoughts that might be my issue.
thx, Steve

Hi @Steve_Fleming ---- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback, both are appreciated!

Moving forward, can you confirm for me what the experience is like if you were to disable the DSP engine? Do you still notice a “decrease” in volume?


thanks Eric. I’m traveling for a week but will give it a shot upon my return.


Have you tried it without upsampling? Does it say bitperfect instead of enhanced then?

  • Sorry, that’s probably the same as ‘turn off DSP’ :slight_smile:

Hello. Unfortunately, this never resolved itself for me and it’s frustrating. Disabling the DSP Engine did not result in a return of the standard volume level.
I’m not sure what to do next, maybe start over again all the way back reinstalling Roon and/or DietPi ?


Hi @Steve_Fleming ---- Thank you for getting back in touch and providing the requested feedback.

Moving forward, before we start considering any sort of “reinstallation”, you mentioned that you currently are connected via ethernet to a RPI which is feeding an Ifi Micro DSD via USB. During your troubleshooting have you tested with the Micro DSD mounted directly to your Win10 device hosting your Roon core? If so, did you notice this same decrease in volume?


I’ll test that, thank you.

1 Like

I ran the PC to the IFI Micro iDSD and set it up as a new zone. No change-Still substantially less volume than what I was experiencing before I opened this thread at the start of July.
I’m going to swap out some of my gear too just to see if there’s something that concidentally went wrong with my pre, dac, crossover or amp(s).

thanks for the dialogue.

I just tried running the iDSD using to my headphones with just Tidal and my Iphone and I’m 99% sure something is wrong with it since I can barely hear it. I’ll be following up with iFi. Sorry for the extra noise here on this forum and thanks for your efforts !


1 Like

No worries @Steve_Fleming, thank you for the update!