Delayed artist photos on Chromecast display [Resolved - Added Ethernet Cable]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Screenshot 2020-07-14 at 10.30.44

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Google Chromecast Ultra 4K - HDMI
Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra - ethernet
Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra - WiFi

Description Of Issue

When tracks start or change the artist photo is displayed immediately on the iPad:

But is delayed on the Chromecast, in this instance for nearly three minutes:

This problem seems to be getting worse.

On the Core I increased the memory for photos to 2048MB and cleared the cache - this made no difference:

Thank you.

Hello @Barry_Skingle, and thanks for your report! Could you please tell me the model router you’re using? If you reboot the router does the issue persist?

Hi @nuwriy, thanks for getting back to me.

The router is a Velop, and the issue does persist after reboot:

Here’s a video showing the delay on the Chromecast display: https://youtu.be/25I2WTrpYto

The transition on the next track took 4 secs, and on the next track one minute four seconds: suspiciously similar to the video clip?

Thanks again.

I have exactly the same issue

I am using a NUC ROCK core

The router is a BT Smart Hub 2 v 0.17.01.12312

Hello @Barry_Skingle, could you please reproduce this issue one more time, and reply here with a timestamp when you do? I’d like to enable diagnostics for your account and get a report over to my team. Thanks!

Hi @nuwriy, sorry for the inordinate delay: my iMac’s logic board died, and I have been without Roon for a while. In the meantime, I installed power line convertors, so the Velop nodes are now connected to the router via power line rather than wi-fi meshing. And the problem has disappeared :raised_hands:, even though the Chromecast 4K is still connected via wi-fi.

My surmise is that previously I had wi-fi congestion, which was colliding with the Chromecast display. Does that make sense to you?

The continuing frustration for me is that the (discontinued) audio chromecasts never fail and are always bullet-proof, whereas previously Auralic Minis and now Pro-Ject stream box S2 ultras are susceptible to wi-fi variations (even wi-fi mesh to Velop, Ethernet to stream box).

Do you have any insight on why the cheap-as-chips Chromecast audio is so robust, and the much more expensive streamers are so fragile?

Thanks, as always.

Hello @Barry_Skingle, I’m glad things are working better! I did want to let you know that we do sometimes see issues with powerline adapters, as discussed here in our networking guide. So if you start seeing further networking issues, I’d remove those temporarily first and see if things get better.

In regards to the Chromecast, there could be a few different causes. Different locations, Wi-Fi bands, or playing at higher qualities (requiring more bandwidth). Are you able to connect the Pro-Ject stream box S2 ultras to Ethernet and test them?

Hi @nuwriy, I have been running two linked Pro-Ject stream box S2 ultras in different rooms. The nearer room has strong power line and very strong wi-fi, whilst the farther room had weak power line and wi-fi. I have now bitten the bullet and installed ethernet to the farther room (which also results in very strong wi-fi). All of my previous problems about delayed artist images and skipped tracks have disappeared (even though the nearer room is still on strong power-line). My conclusion is that my problems all along were glitches on weak connectivity to the farther room.

I hope this helps @Ken_Talbot and others.

1 Like

Thank you very much Barry for taking the time to copy me into this message, its very good of you

I believe that the issues I was having were the result of a poor Transcend M2 SSD which I have now replaced - none of the issues are recurring

The whole time I was having the issues the connection between my ROCK and the pre-amp was via ethernet not wi-fi

However, I do not understand the impact the power line has - can you advise please?

How do I understand the strength of my power line - I have given no consideration to this as I do not understand it’s impact

Once again thanks

Hi @Ken_Talbot, I’m using fast.com as a proxy for connectivity bandwidth.

In the “nearer” room, with powerline, I’m getting:

In the “farther” room, I have ethernet feeding the Pro-Ject stream and a Linksys Velop WiFi point. Standing next to the Velop on wi-fi with my iPhone I get:

And all my Roon problems have evaporated. I do hope this helps you :crossed_fingers:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.