Denon and Samsung Airplay issues

I’m new to Roon (currently trying out the trial) but I believe I’m having the same issue with different Airplay speakers.

I’m using ROCK (on one of two unsupported NUC type boards that seem to work perfectly and have plenty of headroom for my use at the moment). I realise the hardware is are unsupported, but I don’t think that’s likely to be the cause of my issue in this case… my best guess is it could be my Unifi network setup but given the above discussions it could also just be an issue with AirPlay/Roon.

The devices that don’t work are:

• Denon X1200W (connected via LAN to the same subnet that my ROCK is on)
  • Samsung HW-S60A (connected via Wifi to a separate subnet that all my Chromecasts are on)

I can chromecast to the Samsung fine, but although Roon also detects the Samsung as AirPlay it simply doesn’t work at all (play does nothing, volume changes don’t work etc). Spotify can connect to it perfectly from my phone (on the wifi) or my Windows PC (on the LAN).

The Denon doesn’t support Chromecast, but is detected as an AirPlay device. If I try to play to it, I get the same behaviour as the Samsung with one exception… I can “trick” Roon into connecting by streaming to the Denon from Spotify, then pausing and using Roon to “take over the stream”. It’s like Roon works fine once the Denon is already in AirPlay mode, but is incapable of putting it into that mode.

As I said, I’m new to Roon so I may be doing something stupid?

Roon doesn’t work across subnets, so I think that’s one problem. It only works on a single broadcast domain.

Interesting, that’s easily remedied and I’ll test on one subnet. I suspect that’s not my issue though because the chromecasts that are all working perfectly with roon are on a different subnet and the Denon is on the same subnet as roon (and not working).

Will test and come back here.

Ok, it’s all now on the same subnet (a mix of wifi and LAN, all in the one subnet).

Interestingly my behaviour has changed from previously, even though the ROCK to Denon path was always in the same subnet (just a different one).

The Denon now largely works. It powers on and/or takes over the channel once Roon pushes audio. The only thing that’s consistently broken is volume, which seems to be permanently ~5 higher than Roon thinks it is (so mute doesn’t actually mute etc). This isn’t really an issue, since I don’t plan to use Roon to control the audio (and the denon has two zones that can support different volumes anyway).

The Samsung still doesn’t work, although the behaviour has changed in that Roon now turns on the Samsung and shows music as playing perfectly… it’s just that the Samsung (despite turning on successfully when Roon connects) never seems to receive any audio (or volume commands).

Hi @James_Fitzell ,

Welcome to the forum and hope you’re enjoying your Roon trial!

Is the Airplay behavior the same if you temporarily host the Roon Core on the Windows PC?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Thanks Noris,

I will test this but due to some leave and the location of the Windows PC it will take some time. Will revert in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.