Denon AVR plays 32 bit?

I have a Denon AVR connected to a NUC with linux and Roon Bridge. It all works splendidly. What I don’t understand, though, is that Roon streams the music in 32 bit. Looking at the specs and the EDID data the AVR sends to the NUC, it says that it only supports up to 24 bit. What does this mean? Is the AVR just truncating the last 8 bits? Or is it really capable of playing 32 bits?

I have a Marantz SR7012 (same parent-company)

Its been a year but at time used an Allo Digione Sig with Coax out to AVR signal would leave it at up to 24/192 or DSD 64 and it would get up-converted at up to 32/192.

Bought a DAC shortly there after as I didn’t like sound of AVR’s dac for stereo.
Amazing for multi channel.

If you can load app on phone or tablet it shows you input and output details in app.

Stay safe cheers

Both the Denon app, as the web GUI only show me the sample frequency, not the bit depth unfortunately.

Yes, but if your source was originally 24 or 16 bits the change upwards is accomplished by padding zeros, so unless you have a 32 bit source, only zeros are being dropped.

1 Like

Thanks for the info.

I only have 16 and 24 bit sources. But because I use volume normalisation in Roon, Roon makes a 64 bit “source” of it, and then down-converts it to 32 bit. I’m probably better of then setting the bit depth of the AVR to 24 in the audio settings in Roon, so Roon will down-convert to 24 bit.

makes no difference and doesn’t affect anything. I leave everything at 32.

I don’t hear a difference… so it seems a bit hypothetical indeed.