Desktop app stuck trying to load something, forces restart, then tries again upon reload and gets stuck again

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Air / Quad Core Intel I5 / 8GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Modem in same room, Wifi to Roon core (Mac mini), and a 25ft cat 5e cable from modem to Nordost QNet switch > 10ft cable to DAC.

Connected Audio Devices

PS Audio DirectStream DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon is stuck trying to load “Elchinov,” composed by Avishai Cohen. It can’t, for some reason, and freezes immediately upon app startup. I navigated to Elchinov from the search results page after searching for ‘Avishai’. Now we’re in a loop and I can’t use Roon on the laptop. When the app is open and frozen, the computer uses a ton of processing, I think, as the fans fire up quickly and loudly.

Do I need to uninstall and reinstall Roon, and how do I go about that? I’m using Mac OS 12.0.1.

Your core should be connected to the router via Ethernet.

I’ve tried direct and WiFi and WiFi sounds better with no streaming issues. The core is literally 12" from the modem.

Roon has never hung up on anything before like this in this configuration. That’s why I started a thread - there’s an internal issue that causes Roon to stop responding on this one specific composition. Restarting just causes it to jam up again immediately

I also experience this from time to time (rarely). For me, it is solved by restarting Roon Core (restarting the computer, actually).

I will try that, thanks!

Unfortunately that did not work. I’ll try the direct Ethernet connection like suggested

Using direct ethernet to the core did not fix this issue either.

Maybe there is a way to clear the “last viewed item” in Roon via the Mac system library… anyone know if that’s possible?

I saw that sometimes the “last viewed item” changes if you make a backup (using another Roon Remote) and then restart Roon Core. But I don’t know if it happens every time…

Darn. I tried that, made a backup from a remote, then restarted the core. Unfortunately it did not clear the last viewed item, and I’m still stuck in this frozen loop on the desktop app.

PROBLEM SOLVED. There was a fraction of a second before the graphics loaded and before the program tried to load this one problematic song that I could click in the spot where the “back arrow” was to appear, and Roon finally navigated away from this one track.

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone.

The problem is not solved. You just found a workaround to eliminate the effect of the problem. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, yes, this is true.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.