Devialet AIR, Tidal

Might not be much of a consolation Ian, but Roon/USB into Devialet is also very nice……

My impression is Devialet aren’t too helpful to Roon in terms of giving them info about Air so they can fix things, and so its unlikely this situation will improve in the short term. From everything I’ve read on these forums, the Roon guys are pretty good at getting fixes out for vendors who are a bit more collaborative, so it must be frustrating for them too.

The only advice I can think of is to hassle Devialet support directly, and let them know you want them to be more open with Roon so they can integrate with Air better, or (in my opinion a better approach since Air is flakey for many people anyway) adopt RoonReady so we can stream direct to the Devialet from Roon, without using Air. Every little helps, and the more users that hound Devialet support, the better.

From all the struggles I see with Air on Devialet Chat forums. I have to believe the issue is on the Devialet side and most likely Roon developers would have to find a work around.

Devialet should really fix their crappy Air implementation. I’m a proud 200 owner and never could get Air to work, even with JRiver.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more @DrTone (as a D200, and disgruntled ex-Air user myself)….

Jeff, my suggestion would be please, please, send the same comments to Devialet support directly, and also ask that they implement ‘RoonReady’ into their next firmware.

I have asked, so have others. My comment back direct from Devialet was essentially (paraphrasing) “no one has asked for it, and since our firmware updates are free, we’re unlikely to do it unless there’s more interest”, followed by (again paraphrasing) “you’re welcome not to use Air” !! I mean, yeah, OK, thanks for that - and BTW I no longer use it because it doesn’t work (which I also told them on many occasions), but give us an alternate so I can use the network streaming idea I was sold on when I bought it! :unamused:

The more people that hound them on these things, the more likely they will get fixed. If all Devialet users here and on Devialetchat emailed direct to Devialet support about Air and RoonReady, we’d have a lot better chance of them taking action.

I needle drop via my 200 so Air is of no use to me as I’ll always have a computer hooked up via USB. I tried it originally just to see what it was about and never tried it again after it didn’t work.

It is disgraceful that they don’t care.

@danny - Hello Danny - I am resurrecting a “zombie” thread because I was wondering if there is any chance of progress in determine why using Devialet AIR on a Mac that no sound outputs when exclusive mode is enabled.

As noted elsewhere, this works correctly under Windows but not OS X.

Is this dead in the water in regards to troubleshooting unless Devialet becomes engaged?

In other words a fix can only be made with support from Devialet?

Thanks.

Barr

The process of debugging/fixing this is going to be experimental and iterative.

I don’t see us making progress without access to Devialet hardware.

Indeed, I’ve just posted a support request to Devialet asking for exactly that. Whether force of numbers will be enough to get Devialet to give this some attention is anyone’s guess.

Just a final comment from me. First, off I have always found support from the folks at Roon to be superb. Obviously in regards to Devialet, while I love the hardware, AIR is clearly lacking, and after doing more extensive research I believe this to be a Devialet issue and not a Roon issue.

So I do thank Brian and the other folks at Roon for their indulgence here, and Ian to your point will send yet another email to Devialet.

1 Like

You can try but this all sounds very typical French to me, brilliant, great innovative/different engineering/technology but customer service, especially if you don’t speak French…

I have a 200. Prior to some remodeling in the apartment AIR on my Macbook Pro worked for the most part, although it had had been getting worse. I had the same problems as everyone else. Mainly dropouts. Now I set it all up again with the latest firmware and AIR software. It is completely unlistenable. Not one second goes by without dropouts and severe stuttering. It really is astonishing. And it really should have nothing to do with my network. I am using a dedicated time capsule in the same room. That being said, I have an old transporter. I saw that Roon was now supporting slim devices and decided to give it a try. It sounds glorious. The AB with AIR is a joke. I am sure that Roon would be able to"fix" the AIR issue straight away, but that would probably embarrass Devialet. Otherwise the foot dragging has no explanation. I wonder what a negative Stereophile article would do? JA. Listening?

This is all wireless if that wasn’t clear.

The only problem is that Roon does not recognize my DAC (the 200) and I am therefore unable to set control parameters for it. Is that possible? I am using the Transporter as a digital pass-through only.

Roon has no way to know what’s plugged into your transporter. Same as a DAC on the touch or touch EDO.

Let me chime in. I sometimes had a problem with AiR and Dirac room correction, as Roon’s exclusive mode is not AIR compatible. Without excl. mode there’s no problem to stream with Roon via ethernet.

My best solution, however, is to use Roon excl. mode via AES/EBU. That includes Dirac room correction and avoids the sub-optimal USB connection. Great sound right now with a Telemann overture and earlier with Rokia Traoré’s Né So.

Strongly recommend!

That is good, but you have to tell us which AES/EBU card/unit you use on your Roon server to make the connection.

Glad to hear this worked for you, but that’s not the case as a general rule for everyone… Sadly…

@Robert_Becker, what sort of control parameters were you hoping for? (I’m not aware that this is possible in general)

Hi Olav:

I connect by

Mac > Thunderbolt/Firewire adapter > Firewire cable > Weiss INT203 > XLR cable > AES/EBU into Dev. 800

Sounds more complicated than it is. The only investment is the Weiss INT. Roon turned out to be able to switch the INT to the new sampling rate when the original rate of the music file changes. With iTunes I had to use PureMusic for switching.

Thanks, that makes sense. The Weiss is a very nice unit. With Roon I am sure it is good. Enjoy!

Disappointing reading the latest Devialet 200 review by Darko on 6moons.

He apparently read ‘forum chatter’ about firmware versions sounding different, yet crackling problems with AIR get attributed to Roon and their need to patch it up!

Working as a virtual Endpoint, AIR playback for me was still plagued by intermittent crackling sounds of (what I assume to be) buffer underrun. Let’s hope the Roon guys patch that up soon.

Perhaps a little more research was in order!

audio journo’s…need one say more.

I took the liberty to ask Darko about this. It appears it was actually people at Roon who said they needed to ‘fix’ Roon going into AIR. Darko: "I spoke to Roon about this very issue BEFORE going to ‘print’ and they say it is they who will fix it up. Hence my comment, "Let’s hope the Roon guys patch that up soon. “”
Darko is using Mac with a stable AIR (lucky guy…), but is experiencing lack of stability with Roon while other software is OK.

1 Like