Devialet Le 200 disappearing intermittently [Resolved - hardware issue]

Hi @PeterK ----- Thank you for touching base wth me and sorry to hear of the continued troubles.

Moving forward, I would like to understand the following in regard to the symptoms you are experiencing because reading back through my notes it appears to have changed slightly. Originally you were reporting “freezes and dropouts” on the previously used core machine ( HP Spectre XT Ultrabook running Win10 home), which went away after you had disabled Norton 360.

I had advised to setup security exceptions within Norton 360 for both Roon and RAATServer so you could continue making use of the software without getting rid of it. You then mentioned that you got a new core machine which was using McAfee. This is were the symptom seems to have changed (if I am mistaken due correct), as the device appears to be just randomly dropping out of communication with the application and is intermittently re-discovered at random times.

We need to address some variables here, in order to understand why this started to work on the other core with Norton360 disabled and now on a new core machine the device is dropping communication. May I kindly ask you to provide the following information:

• How does the devialet function being used outside of the Roon application? For example, via the TIDAL app? Does the device stay in constant communication?

• When the Devialet is dropped from Roon are you able to successfully ping the device’s IP address from the core machine (via the OS) without issue?

• Please provide a precise description of your network configuration/topology. I want to have a clear understanding of what the “chain of communication” looks like across your network. Being able to understand where the Devialet is sitting in the “chain” and how it is “shaking hands” with your network/Roon is important.

-Eric

Moving forward, I would like to understand the following in regard to the symptoms you are experiencing because reading back through my notes it appears to have changed slightly. Originally you were reporting “freezes and dropouts” on the previously used core machine ( HP Spectre XT Ultrabook running Win10 home), which went away after you had disabled Norton 360.

I should have mentioned that the Devialet also disappeared from both computers. Last night I did a reboot and the system still could not find the Devialet. This morning I turned the computer on and I am able to find and play the devialet on the computer.

I had advised to setup security exceptions within Norton 360 for both Roon and RAATServer so you could continue making use of the software without getting rid of it. You then mentioned that you got a new core machine which was using McAfee. This is were the symptom seems to have changed (if I am mistaken due correct), as the device appears to be just randomly dropping out of communication with the application and is intermittently re-discovered at random times.Because the problem is sporadic it was most likely a timing issue of when it worked. I don’t believe that either Norton or McAfee are the issue here - I may be incorrect though. For instance the system is working at the moment and McAffee is on

How does the devialet function being used outside of the Roon application? For example, via the TIDAL app? Does the device stay in constant communication?Using Roon and Tidal on the computer speakers last night there were no issues. Using Tidal through the Antipodes DS Reference via Ickstream there are no issues.

When the Devialet is dropped from Roon are you able to successfully ping the device’s IP address from the core machine (via the OS) without issue?Not sure what you mean? Which device? When I go into my Netgear Genie I can see the Devialet as a wired and attached device. Further update - The Devialet has disappeared from the Netgear Genie so the connection is lost at that point

Please provide a precise description of your network configuration/topology. I want to have a clear understanding of what the “chain of communication” looks like across your network. Being able to understand where the Devialet is sitting in the “chain” and how it is “shaking hands” with your network/Roon is important.I have my computer connected to a Net Gear wired/wireless router which is connected to a Synology NAS. The Devialet is connected to the NetGear Router.

I have disconnected the ethernet connection at the Devialet and reconnected and it has found the Devialet on the system.

Do you think it is a hardware issue?

I have now changed cables and there is no issue with Tidal or Roon and no surprises the Antipodes has disappeared from the network. It looks like it is a cable issue with one of the ethernet cables. Roon has been working for the last few hours with TIdal. Thanks Eric.

Hi @PeterK ----Thank you for the follow up, your continued feedback has been VERY appreciated!

If am understanding your latest correctly, you swapped the ethernet cable feeding the Antipodes with the cable feeding the 200, and now the Antipodes device is dropping connection while the 200 remains stable?

“I have now changed cables and there is no issue with Tidal or Roon and no surprises the Antipodes has disappeared from the network. It looks like it is a cable issue with one of the ethernet cables.”

Moving forward, if I summarizing/understanding your observations correctly, it sounds to me like you may have identified the issue here. Are you able to try a different cable with the Antipodes (not the one currently being used with the 200 :wink:) to see if it remains in stable contact with the network?

-Eric

Thanks Eric,

The Roon/Devialet/Tidal has been stable all weekend. I spoke to my electrician who did test the cable and it was working on installation. He suggested that it might be a small amount of dust so I used a compressed air can to blow the ethernet connection.

At this stage the Antipodes also seems to be stable (although it hasn’t been played much) so it may be as simple as a bit of dust (which could explain why it was intermittent).

Peter

1 Like

Thanks for the update, @PeterK! Please let me know how things continue to hold up and if all seems good, we can mark this thread "resolved’.

Happy listening!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

I think we can put it down to a hardware issue - being a tiny speck of dust. No issues since I cleaned the ethernet connection with some compressed air.

Thanks,
Peter

1 Like

Devialet “air” indeed! :sunglasses:

3 Likes