Devialet: Transport: Device in Use

That’s the understatement of the century!

Actually it’s pretty interesting that both companies are staying quite silent on this issue. I’m sure both companies are following this thread although they are not commenting anything.

Well, Roon keep quiet until they have a feature to release, and then quietly announce it when it is available. The other lot shout about what they are planning months ahead of time, long before they even have finalised hardware, let alone software, mess it up, and then send sincere and heartfelt letters from their president to tell us how sorry they are and how they will do better next time.

As the old joke (almost) goes: HiFi heaven is the place where Devialet make the hardware and Roon write the software. HiFi hell is where Devialet try to do both.

I trust that they are trying to fix it. I’m not sure they understand what is causing the problem, which I think makes it hard to fix.

Now it’s over a month later. I’m beginning to wonder why this is not fixed.

Is this a Roon’s or Devialet’s issue?

Hi you will find the latest firmware update (12.2.10 assuming you have the core Infinity upgrade) will resolve most of your issues depending on your network architecture. In my case I rebooted the device without the SD card, after resetting and then inserted Config SD and everything seems to work ( also rebooted my Rock OS on the NUC which has static IP address connected via the ethernet) _ so far after leaving it running for 6 hours all is good and sounds better ( better midrange and bass in my view) _ my daughter now can even hop on directly with Spotify _ although slowly but surely steering her to Roon sans Spotify!

I am still on 12.1.2 and I didn’t encounter the “Device in Use” error ever since I got the unit back after CI upgrade in Feb. It was only 2 days ago when I added a turntable that I started to see this error. Not that I am complaining since I am currently enjoying the dark-side music in analog. Just that when I googled it I found it to be common and surprisingly it had not been fixed. This is so unlike Roon and thus I was asking if the ball is in Roon’s or Devialet’s court.

I understand that 12.2.10 is still an RC and wonder how stable is this firmware?

I have 12.2.10 and I still have the error.

To me the error indicates that within your network Roon does not have primacy over the Devialet as say opposed to say airplay etc. Initially when I was having problems I did a hard re-boot by pulling out the mains power cord / I then did a factory configuration reset with new firmware update (pressing the front button for until it is re-set) without the Configuration SD card and then inserted Config SD card and now seems to be working fine. Previously when I had the”transport in use” a simple reboot of Rock on my NUC and powering off the Devialet usually got things back in Sync. A lot of variables could be in your network like routers switches etc - I would suggest the above with a process of elimination (and I am not a tech chap at all!)- still learning.

Btw in my experience the “transport in use” error usually results when switching inputs from Ethernet to say optical or line when making use of another source other than Roon. Although I have set Ethernet as my default when Devialet is powered on - sometimes Roon and Dev are out of sync - here a re-boot of Rock which holds the Roon OS and Devialet removes the error for me.

Am sure it is a software coding work for both Devialet and Roon - Roon team has been doing the heavy lifting thus far, I hope given that Devialet have acknowledged this aspect as an issue in their latest beta release, so hopefully they can put some coding resources to this issue to recognize the variables that triggers the error.

Unfortunately, there is nothing on our end to do.

For me it is a non- issue, the error happens rarely and it is an easy fix in my set up. When I spoke to Olivier the Devialet engineer chap who was upgrading the CI board, his views were in line with yours, in that, he acknowledged they needed to put some time to this issue and was on their list of “bug” fixes to look at.

@danny

What about the issue with playback being garbled, it’s that bad that I can’t listen to Roon for more than 1 or 2 minutes (doesn’t seem to matter if I’m listening to low or hi-rez music).

I know this is off subject, and not saying it’s Roon’s fault, but after the CI upgrade when I play any music in Roon (music files or Internet Radio) the sound has a warble to it (sounds like someone singing under water). Also sometimes sounds like the music is playing at a slower speed.

Again, just asking, not putting the blame on Roon.

Cheers
John

John - I had that issue when I picked up the Dev after the upgrade. Just got this garble noise - I was in total shock as I expected otherwise.

So I first checked if I could find the Dev on my network (see the pic below, I have assigned a static IP address to the Dev). I then checked the cables and my switch boxes/ routers. I went through factory configuration
with the latest beta firmware without the Config SD card (did this two times, the first time I had everything working but no sound) - once I got Devialet appearing on my network by pinging the IP address on one of my PCs (see pic below, shows Dev once you ping the IP address directly - previous firmware update showed “configuring”) I then inserted the SD card and since then Roon and Dev are talking and now works seamlessly for me.

I have been using Roon/ AirPlay / Spotify without any issues now for over week. A lot of testing needs to be done on your existing network architecture and then you can narrow the issue by the process of elimination -and I am not a IT literate chap just requires patient and I cannot stop until I figure out why? My hi fi dealer (the tech chap) here had no idea nor did my very good friend who works in the IT hardware space.

Rash

No issues before with my 1000Pro, but now after CI Upgrade issues all the time.

I’m not great with networks so not sure how to Ping my Devialet, but I did manage to set a static IP address (somehow).

Where did you get the screenshot page in your post ‘Devialet Configuration’?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
John

Look I am not IT savy other than learning by trial and error. There is a app named “Fing” that you can download from the App Store - this app will show you IP addresses of all your devices on the network or your should be able to obtain this information from your router that was provided by your broadband provider (in my case I replaced the router with commercial grade router namely “Ruckus” unleashed model to eliminate any dropouts in a general sense for other devices in our household and also have switch boxes as most of my devices including say for example security cameras etc are done via cabling)

If your Devialet is properly configured, in that, after the factory settings reboot - your Dev will appear on either the Fing app or your router or via windows enquiry with a IP address that you simply type in on the browser either in a PC or Mac - if it does not appear (usually will state the word “Configuring” - I would then suggest doing a hard reboot (unplugging the power supply) reloading the latest firmware and going through the process (remember to take out your SD Config card when you do the firmware upgrade). In terms setting static iP addresses etc that also can be done on the router - for example I have assigned static IP addresses to my Synology NAS server, ROCK, Devialet etc. I do not know your network architecture nor do I know your configuration for your router settings therefore I am incompetent to guide you here - also I am not tech savvy so I maybe doing things the long way so perhaps you are better off seeking some advice from a IT Network person.

It is really important to understand your network so that the Dev (which really is a dumb computer) can talk to the device your loaded your Roon software. One of the reasons I went the stand alone NUC/ ROCK solution was to remove issues I was having within the Microsoft platform (I think apple has some issues as well).

Anyways I know it is annoying as Dev does not provide IT support but I do think that is an unrealistic expectation - My view is that people like me need to be somewhat IT aware if I go down the path of purchasing a Devialet style network device and I do think the guys at Devialet are subjected unfair criticism when they are rolling out an upgrade for gratis - I think the guys at Dev are working hard to understand and work out the variables in different networks and make allowances as much as they can - I reckon it would be a nightmare coming up various permutations as Dev engineer - therefore I think the beta testing program that they rolled out is the only way to go in my view so that they gather the feedback and work on fixes which they have been doing (and on some occasions I have contacted Olivier the engineer directly via email and he was very helpful with advice akin to Danny here at this forum). I really hope you can find the fix and tell us about it. Good Luck.

1 Like

Rash

Now that’s what I call a reply :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Figured out to do the static IP address, and ping my Devialet. Also found your screenshot page, only question is your’s shows Automatic (DHCP) box ticked, thought for the fixed IP should untick this box?

Appreciate all your help :+1:

I’ve got Roon working good now, that’s only if I leave all Conversion off, as soon as I change to upsampling then the music is garbled (sounds like signing under water), and the songs goes into motion mode (x 0.5 speed):

Conversion Off:

Conversion On:

Airplay working well via iTunes on my Laptop (will turn on my 1000Pro from stand-by and play songs).

Rash

Now unfortunately after all the above I really can’t agree with your thoughts regarding Devialet not getting grief over the problems with the CI upgrade.

My 1000Pro costs AUD$50,000RRP, and for a product that costs this much then I DO expect things to be right first time. My 1000Pro had zero hiccups when using Roon (since the good guys at Roon weaved their magic with the Roon Air update). Once I get the CI upgrade then issues started straight away.

The CI upgrade is free, but only as part of the original Pro updates (it was contained within the overall Pro upgrade costs). So I did have to pay for the CI upgrades, but had to wait 18 months to receive them, and then this issues with the software is just %$@#

Not wanting to get into a bun fight here, and really appreciate all your help with setting the Static IP Address, but regarding Devialet we’ll have to agree to disagree, as from my perspective they have a lot to answer to regarding the current CI software issues.

1 Like