DietPi + Allo Web GUI: Now available

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I’d rather wait for @Dan_Knight to chime in before taking the plunge with a clean install (to think I got a USBridge partly so as not to have to deal with a computer…)

1 Like

By the way, I find that I have to also physically unplug/plug after I click on Reboot on the Web GUI. Is that how it should be?

Definitely not. I upgraded to 6.9 as well, but haven’t had the issues with Roon not seeing my Digione after the fact. No doubt you’re experiencing something you shouldn’t be, but I don’t believe 6.9 is fully to blame.

Thanks for chiming in. I take it that ‘Definitely not’ refers to not having to physically unplug after clicking on Reboot on the Web GUI. This has been the case with me in all three latest DietPi versions (6.7–9). Also, I take it you’re referring to USBridge, not Digione.
I don’t know if 6.9 is to blame [for my USBridge disappearing from Roon] - it’s just the only thing that’s changed in my configuration.

Correct, talking about the physical unplugging and replugging. I’m on Digione, not USBridge, but don’t think that matters either as both use the same image.

I downloaded the Allo GUI image from
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869
Version of dietpi is 6.6
Allo GUI loads up fine and reports that an update is available.
Run the update and the GUI becomes a garbled mess with update still pending.
Numerous reboots and power cycles. Same.
SSH’ed in and ran dietpi-update. Update is stuck at ‘NTPD: Waiting for completion of systemd-timesyncd (x/60)’. Repeats 60 times then offers to retry. Fails repeatedly.

It appears that an update from 6.6 to 6.7 occurs but the subsequent update to 6.9 bombs with the NTPD time out.

I successfully updated an Allo GUI from 6.8 to 6.9 a few days ago on another Pi and DigiOne and a USBridge.

Anyone else having issues or does @Dan_Knight have any thoughts?

Allo support offered this workaround;

@Dan_Knight is there a patch/fix in the works?

Thanks

Hi,

I’ve created a ticket and will look into this today:

In the mean time, we suggest our users avoid updating their AlloGUI installations, until this can be resolved.

1 Like

For anyone else who faces the issues of USBridge disappearing in Roon, or the need-to-unplug even after clicking Reboot in the WebGUI:

I updated USBridge to latest 6.9 (same version number as earlier version – should it be called 6.9.1?) through the WebGUI. RoonBridge still did not work (no USBridge in Roon).
Airplay worked perfectly.
I then changed CPU Governor from Powersave to Ondemand, and RoonBridge worked (USBridge appeared in Roon). I’ve done this twice (with reboots), it’s reproducible.
While on Powersave (Roonbridge not working) there is a CPU spike in USBridge Netdata (don’t know if it’s related).
I also received a Netdata UDP send buffer error (don’t know if it’s related).

The need-to-unplug even after clicking Reboot in the WebGUI also continues with latest 6.9 (6.9.1?).

I’m waiting for @rahulkc_s to respond in an ongoing private thread in Allo Support about these issues.
Perhaps @Dan_Knight should take note of these as bugs?

I’m worried that having to often physically unplug might cause SW corruption or HW damage?

1 Like

My new USBridge was set to performance by default so I have left it and no issues here with it. Works flawlessly.

@Dan_Knight,
Is it possible to leverage DietPi as Chromecast end point?

That would be a very nice addition to the software. Mainly i use ROON but sometimes i use other streaming services and it would be very nice to use the Allo streamer in stead of a Chromecast Audio. But i wonder if it would be so easy to implement.

Qobuz does not work on anything other than official chromecast clients. I have tried it using a chromecast emulator and it would not see it.

Hi @Dan_Knight - is this possible at all? And being looked at?

I know about PiCast and have seen your comment about that (below), but is a Chromecast Audio solution being looked at for DietPi?

In short, PiCast is not Chromecast, or in any way compatible. Its current abilities are playing youtube videos from a URL link, that must be inputted via a browser. Its essentially a highly glorified youtube video player, with no relation to Chromecast.

There was today a new update, so i updated. Unfortunately it “bricked” my usbridge. What is it, that there are so many faults with the updates?
And of course I don’t have a sd-cardwriter that can’t write the special card inside the usbridge. Grrrrrrr!

Hm, sometimes it shows in Roon and then it disappears. When I try to log in I get a fault: 500 Internal server error. Anyone experience the same? My Pi just shows up with the same networkcable.

Hi all,

We’ve made some changes to the update procedure for the Allo GUI images.

To prevent future issues with a failed update, and, to ensure stability, updates must now be completed via the command line using:

dietpi-update

This ensures updates are completed in a controlled manner. The update button still exists, however, it will now link you to a webpage with the information to update the system.

This change has been applied to the v6.11 update and latest images (see below)

If your device is “bricked”, please download and re-write the updated Allo GUI images, which contain the above fix:
https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2317&p=8869#p8869

Putting a hdmi cable is showing the usbridge is in a bootloop.

I thought that the USBridge units ship with a EMMC to USB reader? if not then I guess you could use a normal micro SD card and burn an image to that and remove the EMMC … but as my USBridge is somewhere between Allo and Singapore right now I can’t confirm.

Failing that maybe get one ordered from Allo - or maybe they will post one FOC

I burned a fresh image (with Etcher) to a normal micro sd-card, but then nothing happens at all. I remeber trying it before, but it never seems to work with my usbridge. Maybe there is a jumper to remove or replace to get a normal sd-card working?

I think you have to remove the EMMC module as that is the default boot device IIRC

1 Like