DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

So far the dietpi distro seems to be pretty good with the Roon bridge install. A few niggles but pretty much all sorted with a minimal amount of digging up info. Many thanks to @Dan_Knight and some others to float the boat.

No worries, Linux is one of those rare gems. Everything constantly changing, so many possibilities, but with DietPi, we try to focus on making stuff work :slight_smile:

We know something will come in the end, just hope they break past the 100mbit usb ethernet and 1GB ram limit on current BCM architecture.

On a another note, would love to see Roon supporting ARM64 for v1.3.
With the Odroid C2 + HiFi Shield 2, its a power house SBC, in a completely different league to RPi 3. The HiFi Shield 2 is a excellent audio HAT to compete with even the top end RPi HATs.

I’ve tested the ARMv8 Roon Bridge build, suspect you’ll see it with the release of 1.3. I’m actually using DietPi on my C2’s with the ARMv8 build of Roon Bridge. Running the HiFi Shield 2 as a Roon enabled DAC for the kitchen radio.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Rune0S for RPi - Contrast and compare

24 posts were split to a new topic: Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

@evand
Excellent, looking forward to 1.3!

Any idea if this build of Roon bridge is available to the public domain? If Roon permits, we could add the ARMv8 (ARM64) installation in and allow DietPi C2/Pine users a way of creating a Roon bridge.

It’s not publicly available as yet and I don’t think the shell scripts for installation have been finalised. When I tested the installation was manual.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

I’ve shifted @Wayne_Bull1’s posts about Diet Pi and NAA to their own thread as above.

2 Likes

Sorry for the slow response, @Dan_Knight 
this was lost in the holiday shuffle.

We don’t have plans to allow Roon Bridge to talk to non hw:X,X devices because a number of things fall apart if we can’t be sure we’re talking to a hardware device.

In many cases, the default device presents “wide-open” hardware capabilities, which interferes with Roon’s ability to make good decisions about sample rate and bit depth conversions. Non-hardware devices sometimes perform faster-than-realtime buffering or pre-loading, which interferes with our clock management and synchronization technologies. Also, having arbitrary downstream DSP undermines the integrity and usefulness of Roon’s signal path display.

As far as EQ is concerned, Roon 1.3 will ship with its own parametric equalizer and will be able to load convolution filters generated by external EQ software.

1 Like

Hi @brian

No worries, thanks for the in-depth reply.

Makes sense when aiming for highest possible audio quality, and, especially considering 1.3 will have its own built in EQ, looking forward to it!

Any chance we will see the ARMv8 Roon Bridge binaries released to public before/with Roon 1.3? We are keen to add Roon Bridge installation for our Odroid C2/Pine A64 users:

@Dan_Knight maybe include the Allo Sparky too :smiley:

1 Like

Yep, we’d love to, just need to get our hands on a sample board 1st for implementation of the DietPi image, and, supporting the device.

I’ve sent a request via email to @ALLO_audio_boards and will wait their response.

Given the number of platforms you’re now supporting you could rename the distro to DietSOC.

1 Like

No, we’re not planning any more 1.2 releases. ARMv8 will go out with 1.3.

1 Like

How does one change the name that shows in the device list for networks i.e. FIng from DietPi to something more meaningful like loungepi etc? One of mine is called Raspberry and the other DietPi but no idea how to or where to change them

On Diet-Pi systems:

dietpi-config

6 Security Options > 2 Change Hostname

On Raspbian systems:

Change hostname in /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname

nano /etc/hosts

nano /etc/hostname

and reboot.

2 Likes

Lol, yep, great suggestion, would be ideal. However, a complete re-brand/naming now of DietPi would be a mammoth task :slight_smile:.

Rather spend that time working on improving DietPi: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/milestone/44 :smiley:

1 Like

That’s hardly a week’s work. Just finish Stretch and be done with it. :slight_smile:

Oh, and add a Cubox. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

On a more serious note: you have my utmost respect making Linux manageable for the uninitiated on those SBC’s.

(And on an even more serious note: don’t bother with Cuboxes unless you have serious time to spare, you’re bored and it is raining outside. Mine are doing just fine with Armbian – and with DietPi you appear to be skating where the puck is going to be instead of where it was yesterday. That looks like a good investment, time-wise.)

3 Likes