DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

(Rene Bouwmeester) #48

And sorry – I should have read better. :slight_smile:

I thought this was about a DAC+ – the Digi+ boards do not have any mixer controls, as they output the full, bit perfect signal only. If you need volume control in Roon, you will need to use the DSP functionality (which is as good as its gets with 24-bit dithering). The alsamixer screen is as it’s supposed to be.

Excellent, thanks!

(Steve) #50

Can someone remind me the usr you ssh into? Is it still pi@?
Been a while since I did it and need to check something. If it’s pi, I’ve clearly forgotten my password! Doh.

(Rene Bouwmeester) #51

It’s root :slight_smile:

Off topic, but after more than 20 years using Linux I finally fell prey to not backing up config files when working as root. I ran lsblk > instead of >> pointing to /etc/fstab :cold_sweat:

(Rene Bouwmeester) #53

I wanted to press ‘like’, but it somehow feels inappropriate… :slight_smile:

2 Likes
(Steve) #54

Thanks. Ok, now to see if I remember password. Can you remind me default one? :slight_smile:

One thing I noticed just rebooting them is the Jessie one remembered previous volume, whereas the diet pi defaulted to 100%. Caught out and in trouble again. I guess that’s because it doesn’t write to sd card?

(Rene Bouwmeester) #55

dietpi

As for the volume setting – DietPi only logs to RAM – alsa settings are stored locally. Mine are saved perfectly fine over reboots.

(Steve) #56

Thanks.
Mmm interesting. So did you manually set a default volume? If not I wonder why the Jessie one saved its volunevbut the Dietpi didn’t? Maybe it’s hat related. Dietpi is iqaudio, Jessie is hifiberry.

(giles throup) #57

Steve - sorry for the off topic message, but if you’re still considering selling your Facts I’d be interested in having a chat (PM sent on wigwam - but noticed you haven’t been on there in a while)
Thanks
Giles

(Steve) #58

Hi Giles. They have messaging here too - just click user name and you’ll see the message button. Will follow up there. Cheers.

(Greg Stratton) #59

Hi Giles,

You may have had issues PM’ing @hifi_swlon. Should be ok now.

Cheers, Greg

(giles throup) #60

Greg,

Thanks for the help, for some reason earlier the ‘message’ button wasn’t appearing.
But it all looks good now.

Giles

1 Like
(Janis) #61

Hi @RBM

Need your help on DSD over DoP on AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023:
http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/audiophonics-i-sabre-dac-es9023-v2-tcxo-raspberry-pi-20-a-b-i2s-p-10657.html11

I installed this DAC on DietPi as HiFiberry DAC
It is recognised
root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Installed ALSA utils
Installed FFmpage tools

It’s found in Roon as RAAT, plays 24/192, and plays DSD if converted to PCM.

However, I can’t get it to play DSD over DoP (even when DoP selected and it shows DSD64 in green). :frowning:
I only hear hissing sound and in background very very very silently the music???

What’s missing, what’s wrong?

Janis

(Rene Bouwmeester) #62

I do not think the Audiophonics board is capable of decoding DSD.

DSD64 is shown in green because the driver reports it is capable of receiving PCM192, which is the minimum requirement for transporting DSD64 over DOP. But Roon has no way of knowing whether the DAC is capable of decoding DSD sent over PCM or not.

(Janis) #63

Thank you. That should be the reason.

(Harry ten Berge) #64

Just launched a RPi3 with a Hifiberry Digi+ running Dietpi. Is going to replace by Squeezebox Touch which is failing to properly play 192K content.

Man, I’m very impressed. Got stuff running in less than 30 minutes. And although I’m a ‘a bit is a bit’ guy, I can’t help thinking that this combo sounds better than my Squeezebox Touch.

Enjoying my music verry much!

3 Likes
(Dan Knight) #65

Roon Bridge is coming to DietPi-Software for v139: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/593

1 Like
(Rene Bouwmeester) #66

Thanks Daniel. My DietPi Roon Bridges have been running absolutely flawlessly. Adding Roon Bridge to the easy software installer makes things even easier.

Maybe this is a good time to remind all of you employing DietPi for your listening pleasure that while the software is 100% free to use, making a small contribution goes a long way in helping its development. I just did.

http://dietpi.com/#donate

4 Likes
(Harry ten Berge) #67

I can only add a ‘fully agree’ to Rene’s post. DietPi is light-weight, properly documented, fast and most importantly, running without any issue at all.

Thanks @Dan_Knight!