DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Inadvertently installed 384kHZ kernel. Any way to uninstall?

Yep, to reinstall the DietPi kernel for RPi:

/DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_hardware kernel dietpi_rpi

DietPi kernel does not currently support 384KHz at the moment. Planned for the future.

@Dan_Knight any issue if it’s installed and left there for now?

. deleted post

Nope thats fine.
We offer the 384KHz kernel (from Volumio) as a option, however, we do regard the DietPi kernel as default and may be patched/reinstalled during DietPi updates. In this case, you can simply reselect 384KHz from dietpi-config as needed.

Once we’ve implemented 384KHz into our kernel, we’ll drop that option in DietPi-Config, as won’t be required.

Just bear in mind, the 384KHz kernel option lacks Allo 2.1, Boss DAC support, and, 192KHz HDMI output (afaik).

Hi Dan, I have been trying for about a month to find a step by step procedure to headlessly install Roon Bridge on my Rasberry Pi 3 SBC. Kevin Pierson at Roon Labs has been helping me out and gave me this link to your instructions. Your instructions almost get me there but, being new to all of this, I need more specifics. So far, I have downloaded the image file on my Windows 10 laptop and will write it to a micro SD card as soon as I get an additional one. My current SD card has the Volumio image file on it and I want to keep that intact for later use if I cannot successfully install Roon Bridge. My problem comes with your step to “Download the automated config file for Roon Bridge (right click, save as): http://dietpi.com/downloads/conf/DietPi-Roon/dietpi.txt and save to /boot/dietpi.txt”. Where do I find “/boot/dietpi.txt” to save the automated config file for Roon Bridge to and what should I save it as? When you say “Plug in ethernet…”, do you mean into my Rasberry Pi 3 or my laptop
( I already have ethernet plugged into my Rasberry)? Or when you say “configure WiFi in /boot/dietpi.txt” where do I find “/boot/dietpi.txt”? Will this all be clearer when I first download and install the Roon Core on my laptop? Sorry to need more specific instructions but I really want to get Roon up and running using my laptop and my Rasberry Pi 3 and don’t want to spend a good portion of my free trial time trying to figure out how to do this.
Thanks,
Bill

Why not just install roon bridge into the volumio build. This is what I use now so I still have volumio and roon in the same setup. Here is what I did from volumio ssh screen

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bzip2

curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

You will now see the roon bridge in roon settings

Hi Bill,

Ok so here are the steps, once you get the spare SD card:

If you are planning to use WiFi on the RPi 3, let me know and i’ll walk you through setting that up. If not, simply:

• Plug in the SDcard into RPi
  • Plug in ethernet cable into RPi
  • Plug in HDMI (if you want to see whats going on)
  • Plug in the Micro USB Power into RPi and watch the magic

DietPi will then automatically install and setup Roon Bridge on your device. Depending on the speed of SD card, this can take anywhere from 1 minute to 5+ minutes.

If you want to change sound card (HAT/USB DAC etc), login to the system and run dietpi-config > audio options > sound card

Let me know if you need anything else.

2 Likes

Hi Dan, do I access this screen/option by entering the Pi’s IP address on my Mac browser?

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately, we do not offer a web interface for DietPi at this time, although, it is planned for the future. :slight_smile:

There is two methods:

• Easiest, is to plug in a HDMI monitor and keyboard. After logging in with username root and password dietpi, you can then run the commands there.

• The next is remote SSH session, using a SSH client (eg: Putty for Windows) and the IP address of the device. This is the same as the above, but allows you to remotely access the terminal, without needing to be at the system physically. More info here: http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&start=10#p62

1 Like

Thanks Dan, you’ve again been most helpful. I am sure I’ll work it out…eventually!
Best,
Rob

1 Like

@Dan_Knight I have successfully set up DietPi on a Raspberry Pi device and it is working well.

I’m now trying to set up DietPi to run on a NanoPi M3. I have downloaded the image, installed on the device (once I wrote the image to the sd card, my mac couldn’t read it, so setup was not as easy as on the RPi since I couldn’t pre-configure the wireless), but none the less, it is installed and running.

I’ve installed shairport and roonbridge and set the sound card as usb-dac. The usb dac that I have connected is an AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2. The NanoPi doesn’t recognize the DragonFly.

What am I doing wrong? At this point, I’m ready to jettison the NanoPi and purchase another RPi since that experience was so much better.

Thanks,
BW

Hi,

I was able to replicate on my M3 + USB DAC, so appears to be an issue with the kernel provided by FriendlyARM on this device. I’ll take a look and see if we can find the cause:

But yes, generally speaking, the well known boards (RPi/Odroid/Sparky) have much better kernel devolpment and support. In which case, you will experience much less issues similar to this one.

Thank you. Good to know. I’m an SBC neophyte and feeling my way around. I’ll probably do another RPi based on your reply.

1 Like

Hi Dan, sorry to trouble you again but I have a wee problem. My new Pi arrived today. I have written the diet image to the SD Card and copied the dietpi.txt file to Root (which overwrote an existing dietpi.txt file) and booted the card in the Pi. I used Putty to ssh into the system (amazing myself at the same time!) entered root password and then used dietpi-configi to select USB DAC and then selected reboot (which ended the SSH session).
All is connected up (ethernet) and the router displays a connection for “DietPi-Roon” but the device is not showing on my Roon Server audio settings page. I have rebooted both core and device but to no avail. Any suggestions for troubleshooting would be gratefully received and much appreciated. Cheers, Rob

Did you edit the config.txt i think it is (I’m traveling now so don’t have a flash card to check) to disable wifi and enable the ethernet?

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll check and report back but the only thing
I changed was the sound card…

just checked Ethernet connected and enabled. wifi disabled and not connected

dietpi defaults to wifi setting on (1) and ethernet off (0) so reverse those 1/0 and the ethernet should start up and your pi will get a dhcp address then start the update process. connect a VGA TV/Monitor if you can to watch the progress. a keyboard plugged in is handy too

it might be in dietpi.txt - i just can’t check mine as Im not home

Thanks - ethernet is on, wifi off

My bad - from the dietpi site

Optional (Wifi):
Pre-configure Wifi Details for DietPi

• Goto my computer, select the SD card and open it.
  • Locate the file called dietpi.txt and open it with wordpad.
  • Set Wifi_Enabled=1.
  • Enter your ssid Wifi_SSID=MySSID and Wifi_KEY=MyWifiKey (both are case sensitive).
  • Save the file.
  • Plug the Wifi adapter into your device, before turning it on.

so as you are using Ethernet make the changes I said above…or edit the wifi settings to suit your network. Wifi overrides ethernet if you turn both on