DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Ok with 400 posts now here, where do I find the current version of DietPi with RoonBridge built in and instructions on what to do? Thanks. JCR

1 Like

Google is your friend. However www.dietpi.com is a good start.

1 Like

Click on the link in the post above yours. Follow those instructions but add RoonBridge to the software picks in the DietPi menus.

2 Likes

DietPi doesnt have Roon built in per se but the setup is painless and just a series of menu steps done with an HDMI TV connected and a USB keyboard. A couple of restarts and you are done. You could go headless with SSH if you have the geek inside you :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to you both. I do understand ssh a little and use Putty and Win32diskimager, and Fing helps me find the RPi3ā€™s IP address. So, I can likely get the operating system on to the mSD card. But it is simple things in Linux that Iā€™m not experienced in. So, for example, were I told to save a file to a Linux file address, I wouldnā€™t know what commands to execute on that. Itā€™s a process. Sometimes frustrating, but magical when you work your way through this and it actually works.

Does DietPi not enable ssh by default? It took me a long time to figure that out with the Raspian Jessie Lite and what to do about it. Just wondering if that is one of things I need to take care of while the mSD card is still attached to the computer.

I also take it that the keystroke execution for Roon must be identical to Reneā€™s instructions for the Raspbian Jessie Lite install?

I thank you both for pointing me in the right direction. JCR

Roon is accessible via a menu once DietPi is installed. It is the simplest I have encountered. It will add dependencies automatically once you select Roon. The instructions are on the DietPi website and they are hardware specific. Simply select your hardware and follow the instructions.

Dietpi comes with ssh enabled by default, you need to ssh root@your_ip_address and type in ā€˜dietpiā€™ as the password.

You donā€™t need to run the script per Roonā€™s instruction, if you run ā€˜dietpi-softwareā€™ you can select Roon in the menu and it will automatically install everything that you need.

1 Like

Hi Dan,

Is this included in the v146 build now? If not, how do I add EdiMax 7811 support please?

Bob

Hi,

Apologies, this didnā€™t make it to v146.
I did make some notes and will try and take a look today, hopefully give you a method for install:

@Robert_Brace

Hi Robert,

I believe this should do it, please follow the instructions/commands on this page to install driver + module for EW-7811UAC (rtl-8812au):

Unfortunately, I do not have a device with this chipset to test.
If you could please test the WiFi device after that is completed (use dietpi-config > networking to set this up), and let us know results, iā€™d be grateful.

Thanks Dan, Iā€™ll give it a go later, first time with DietPi and PiZero so fingers crossed!

1 Like

@Dan_Knight Whatbis the best way to implement a DLNA client on dietPi to run alongside RoonBridge?

1 Like

If you want something lightweight, give MiniDLNA a try in dietpi-software:
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5#p49

If your after something a little more feature-rich, Plex Media Server is great:
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5&p=1949#p1949

I will be using 8-16Gb mSD cards for my DietPi installs. For the older RoonBridge install that Rene docimented, one thing to do was to expand the file system to use up the full mSD card. Is that an option in DietPi and should it be used? Thanks. JCR

DietPi will do this automatically for you at first boot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry. Iā€™m locked out of the RPi3 once having installed DietPi and running the Roon install. I tried login per Noel as "root@192.168.0.104" (the IP address of the RPI3 on my network) and password ā€œdietpiā€. Access denied. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. JCR

Update: I re-formatted the mSD card and started over. It really goes quickly. Second time around, got in. So, now I have to hook it up and see if it will work for me. JCR

During the expansion the authentification of the access via ssh will be changed. My macbook then thinks it is a new attempt to access the pi, and it rejects login - until you delete the ssh-rsa in known hosts. This is very annoying when you see it first time. However, Dietpi is so kind to tell you the link to that file ( in the mac it is user/.ssh/known_hosts. Look for the last entry, that begins with something like this ā€œip numberā€ ssh-rsa AAAAB3N- and then three - four lines. Simply delete them and you and accept the new RSA when it comes in the next login. This is only a one time thing with Dietpi.

Hi,

Yep, its a security feature to regenerate SSH certs on 1st install, else, all SSH certs would be identical on all DietPi systems.

However, when using Putty/Kitty SSH client (Windows), this detects a new SSH cert and allows for update. Which Mac SSH client is being used, and, are there others available?

On a Mac, people usually use Terminal.app. In that case, theyā€™ll have to ā€˜nano .shh/known_hostsā€™ to remove the old (and now offending) line containing the old key.

1 Like

I have been working with different systems earlier, and of those Dietpi is definitely the easiest, partly because the SSH is enabled, and because it gives the link to how to change it. So it was from my side a comment to the ones who cannot log in.
I am using terminal, havenā€™t tried other,

1 Like