Difference Between Multiple Master Versions of Same Title in Tidal?

Take a look at the Rush catalog in Tidal. The latest additions are from the Universal catalog and there are two MQA versions for each of the older albums. One unfolds to 96 kHz and the other to 192 kHz.

Sadly, I think the label just encoded existing hi-res masters created for digital distribution and purchase (e.g., HDTracks). In the digital purchase/download model they offer the same master sampled at different rates with higher rates demanding higher prices. Clearly, in dealing with Tidal they did not adjust to what should be the MQA model which is ONE master encoded in MQA where the playback decoding unfolds to the highest rate capable by the user DAC and instead they encoded both versions of the same master. Why, anyone’s guess though it seem ignorance. Not that it matters financially because with the Tidal subscription model it doesn’t matter but it does result in a messy discography in Tidal.

The “white glove” treatment for such a massive catalog would never be practical and it was clear the vignettes MQA Ltd was using were just a “reference” to what was possible. That said, so far I’m finding the MQA albums on Tidal generally are better than the Hi-Fi versions (less “hot”, more dynamic range, smoother, etc.) So, despite the mess I’m happy enjoying better sound quality on the music I like.

Me too; I’m spending more time in the Tidal app than Roon lately…