Difference between Nucleus Plus and Nucleus PLUS REVB?

Thanks Bart. rev A is indeed based on a NUC 7 and both USB are 3.

Hi @danny

Can the standard model i3 rev. B, the 4GB RAM is upgradable? It is using one module or two? Using 2 modules, thinking of upgrading to 8GB (2x 4GB) will improve the performance?

Iā€™ve a Linear power supply rated at 19V at 3A, can it supply the required power to standard model?

You can. It has 2 slots, and 1 is in use.

Increasing RAM will not increase performance. If your library is large enough to blow out RAM, Roon will crash, not slow down. There is no ā€œswapā€ on disk.

No, you should make sure your supply is at least 65w (you will need about 3.42amps at 19v), but be careful, after-market power supplies are the #1 reason why Nucleus units stop functioning.

1 Like

The Roon Nucleus Rev A will take a 12-19v LPS. will the Rev B take a 12-19v LPS with suitable amps as well? Or, will it only take a 19v 3.42 Amp or better power supply?

@danny

I got my nucleus rev b and it has been up and running for a week now, over the days, I perceived some improvement on the clarity, definition and separation of instruments and slight wilder soundstage. Previously Iā€™m using NUC i5 running on ROCK. The setup is Nucleus via USB to Spring DAC and also endpoint to Ropieee. (Both setups are perceived as improvement)

Iā€™m not sure it is a placebo effects? By right it shouldnā€™t but I did compared back to ROCK to confirm it a few times. The rest of the setup remain unchanged. This is where science donā€™t fully explain (bit perfect) what is going onā€¦

Overall I like the ā€˜improvementā€™ in SQ and is worth an upgradešŸ˜

Is USB 2 better solution for audio output ?
If we consider Nucleus to be an audio only dedicated machine and its given price, to me (owner of Nucleus +) it is little bit strange that Roon team did not take in account this whilst fabricating new iteration (Ver B).

There is so much misunderstanding around this subject.

ā€œUSB 2.0ā€ vs ā€œUSB 1.0ā€ or ā€œUSB 3.0ā€ is irrelevant for audio output.

Most USB audio devices use UAC 1.0 or 2.0, with a few newer headphones doing UAC 3.0. These are USB Audio Class devices, which is a way of transmitting audio over the USB data transmission protocols (1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1)

UAC 2.0 is better than UAC 1.0 in that it supports many new features, such as:

UAC 2.0 introduced support for High Speed USB (in addition to Full Speed), allowing greater bandwidth for multi-channel interfaces, higher sample rates, lower inherent latency, and 8Ɨ improvement in timing resolution in synchronous and adaptive modes. UAC2 also introduces the concept of clock domains, which provides information to the host about which input and output terminals derive their clocks from the same source, as well as improved support for audio encodings like DSD, audio effects, channel clustering, user controls, and device descriptions.

Nucleus will support UAC 1.0, UAC 2.0, and UAC 3.0. It also supports USB ports that can speak USB 1.0, USB 2.0, and USB 3.0 data transports, and which is used depends on the DAC device you plug into the port.

2 Likes