Different album covers for discs in a boxset

I understand that, I does not make sense to me since they are different releases regardless the original track provenience, but i get your point.

Just for fun, if you add Track A1 from the Best Of album to a Playlist, what will make sense to see, the original cover (Album A) or the cover of the album where the added track actually belongs (Best Of)?

I’d expect it to have the art from “The Best of” but that’s not necessarily what I’d want! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a (popular) box set, I have it on CD, 10 albums with covers:

But Roon shows one cover: for the box…

I’d like for Roon to show the box cover in my library, but the album covers when playing. Simples :grinning:

4 Likes

having the tools to allow us to manually (or automatically) set a cover for each tree level will cover any imaginable possibility wanted or expected by any of us. Given the answer I’ve got from @dany for a similar suggestion regarding the Boolean logic in focus (the ability to combine anything and everything by any given Boolean operator) i won’t hold my breath on this one neither…

2 Likes

Yes. I have volume 1, and there I used “Work” and “Part” tags in SongKong to identify the individual discs in the track listing of the set (which is otherwise mysterious):

I will often import “box sets” as individual albums for this reason. I prefer to have the album art over Roon treating these albums as a set. Kind of sucks. Would be nice if I could drop images in the proper directory and Roon cycle the art between the box set and the specific disc in the box.

Allowing a Tag an individual image would help, for Box Read Tag, the RoonAlbumTag allows an auto tag creation already

Treat each album within the Tag as an individual album along with its own artwork

Doesn’t work for all but a Tag specific image would cover a lot of eventualities

The final frontier, especially in classical is to use the other tools to get where you want, Composer, Composition etc

The 1.8 revision to Focus helps in all but massive boxes

The debate will continue, that’s why I run JRiver in parallel to Andre big boxes :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Surely Roon can address these few outstanding issues so that people that continue to use 2 music apps in parallel can switch to just using Roon. I mean as far as these kind of apps go, Roon costs a lot of money. I’m not suggesting that it’s not worth it, I just think that the team could focus a little more on the long-standing bug-bears that have been a source of frustration for a significant set of the user group for a long time. There seems to have been a lot of branching out into links with other hardware companies and third parties, developing the Nucleus, etc, accordingly with a lack of focus on the core function of the app itself - the display of metadata. This was, after all, what drew most of us to Roon in the first place.

4 Likes

That’s the thing: in ronn’s eye significant has a very different signification…

Well, the squeaky wheel gets the oil, which is why its worth bumping these long standing requests/suggestions from time to time. Nice to see people are voting this request up now.

1 Like

Rolling Stones “Maximum CD” Russian released 30 CD box set drives me crazy. I also want to be able to see one box set in albums view and the album cover for each release when I select that disc within the box. I spent hours manually editing my metadata and it’s still not complete.

Anybody at Roon considering this?.. please?

The whole box set issue has been raised many times (search the forum for Box Set ), the creation of a “Box” object containing a set of “Discs” each with its own artwork.

There has been no progress in 5 years and no real acknowledgement of the request

One way around it if the Box is a genuine collection of “Released albums” is to create a Tag or to use use the ROONALBUMTAG applied externally to each album. but in most cases its a mess as the Disc # causes Roon to not ID the album , eg Abbey Road should be Disc # = 1, not = 8 say . So you finish up manually resetting the disc number . But the end result is sorta OK.

If you want to do that there are some “tricks” that can be shared …

I’d only like three little changes:

1. List what’s being removed with a “clean up library”
  2. Wake on LAN sent from the controller when you fire it up
  3. One cover for a box set, individual covers for the album’s in it

Long standing feature requests, no progress, but gotta keep on asking :wink:

2 Likes

All they need to do to solve this dilemma for most users is add a group function. Import the albums as individuals (as people are doing now), select them and add to a group. The group would be the equivalent of a playlist for albums. Then allow groups to have their own cover art, and display them in the albums list; they would not need to display under any other view. It wouldn’t matter if the albums continued to display in the list alongside the groups, but an option would be nice. None of this needs to be automated, just possible. We are doing this now with tags, but there is no way to display a tag group in the album list, and of course you don’t get to set cover art for the tag group.

BUT …

Often the individual Albums in a box do not correspond to an existing “Release” so Roon will not ID them and your metadata will be a mess. Roon nearly always ID’s the Box because the box is a release.

This is mostly because the record label are “nice to us” and add extra tracks eg for what was a vinyl release at 40 mins packed to CD at 75 mins

Nice idea BUT …

You ignored the content of the message in order to create a problem where there was none. Please stop.

sorry don’t understand the comment ?

The answer is a proper structured approach not a workaround ?

i’m always struggling with my box sets… what about if roon would try something like this, finding the way to add multiple covers? Would you like it?

PIERRE BOULEZ The Conductor: Complete Recordings on DG and Decca

Existing feature suggestion where you can vote and add your example

1 Like