Digital noise at full volume after Mac woke from sleep

Playing through headphones cabled (minijack) to my Mac at work, streaming from Tidal. When pressing play after Mac woke from sleep, the headphones played digital noise at extreme volume. After jerking my headphones off from the initial shock I paused the music, then Roon refreshed and asked me to choose playback zone. Choosing mac, and playing, everything is back to normal, at normal volume. I had played from Roon earlier on the same day before the mac went to sleep.

Now, every time I press play, I am terrified that the same thing will happen again. I can still feel the impact of the high volume in my ears.

@support

Hello @Adrian_Tofting,

Did you by any chance have the volume set that high on your last listening session for the mini-jack zone? Roon starts up at the same volume as you had set last time so I gather this might have been what happened here.

Roon has the ability to set volume limits and comfort limits per zone, you can access this setting by going to Roon Settings -> Audio Tab -> Cogwheel next to zone you wish to configure -> Device Setup -> Set Volume Limits.

You can set a Min/Max/Comfort level here to ensure that it does not start off at such high volume in the future. Please let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris

Thank you for the quick response.

The volume was unchanged. To be clear, between pausing the player after the loud noise started, Roon refreshing, and playing the music again, I did not change the volume.

The Mac system volume was set to ~20%, and Roon player volume at 100. As such, the noise was independent of the Macs system volume control, which I think is to be considered a bug. Although I don’t know if this is on Roon or the Mac, I know this is not an issue with other streaming software.

I guess I could set volume limits for Roon, and then increase the Macs system volume, but that would make every other system sound incredibly loud.

Anyhow, I think the real issue is that the noise started playing in the first place. Could it be related to Roon not coping with the Mac waking up from sleep?

Thanks,
Adrian

Hello @Adrian_Tofting,

Thank you for providing those details. Would you by any chance recall the approximate time and date that this volume issue occurred at? I would like to enable diagnostics mode for your account and see if there was any unusual activity happening in Roon at the time you mentioned as it might give us some clues on possible triggers.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi! Sorry for the late reply.

I wrote this feedback right after the incident, March 12. So if you check the timestamp provided with my first post, you will get the time and date in your timezone. :slight_smile:

A post was split to a new topic: Loud bursts of static white noise

Hi @Adrian_Tofting,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp. I have just enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

It has been a bit of time since you reported this issue and so I can’t say for sure if the logs will still contain the incident information. Have you been using the Core since your last report?

It might be better if we retrieve manual logs from the Core to try and capture the issue, if you can please use these instructions and manually send us the logs that will be helpful in diagnosing what happened.

You can upload the logs as a shared dropbox, google drive or send.firefox.com link.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris

I might have been using the Core a little, but not very much. I started it now to allow the auto upload of the logs. I also sent you a private message here on the forum containing a link to download my logs. Good luck, and keep up the great work!

Adrian

Hi @Adrian_Tofting,

Thank you for sending those log files over. I have asked QA to take a look to see if there were any issues occurring at the timestamp you mentioned. I appreciate your patience until my request reaches their queue.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello @Adrian_Tofting,

I wanted to let you know that I heard back from QA regarding the analysis, but unfortunately it seems there was no info contained on what triggered this behavior. Has this issue re-occurred since then or was it just that one time? If this occurs again, can you please let me know the exact time/date?

Thanks,
Noris

I have not used Roon in the same way since it happened. I will let you know if it occurs again. Hopefully it will not happen on my valuable hifi speakers :grimacing:

Thanks for the follow up!
Adrian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.