Dirac playback is distorted

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10 PC
QNAP TS 251

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Using WiFi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Chord 2go.
Arcam SA30 integrated amp which has Dirac as an inbuilt feature.

Description Of Issue
Hi,

I set up the Arcam today and played some songs via Roon, but after several minutes the song gaveway to distortion similar to buffering or clipping crossed with the static sound of tuning a radio.

I am not using the Arcam amp as the Roon endpoint, I am using the Chord 2go.

I tried doing some research in the Roon community but couldn’t find anything too similar to my issue, although others seemed to be having issues where the advice was setting power-of-2 buffer size. I could not see how to achieve this, when going into the gear icon of my Go2 couldn’t see any setting for buffer size amendments.

Any advice gratefully received, thanks

Hi,

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Hi Carl, hopefully you have enough info on my setup now?

Thanks for extra details, … could you clarify…

Is the Roon core running on the PC or the QNAP?

What is the hardware specification of the PC?

You state WiFi, are all these devices connected via Wifi?

Roon recommends, the Core is hardwire via RJ45 cable to the switch / router.

I know lots of questions, but I suspect the distortion you are hearing is down to a hardware performance issue.

Another question … Does this happy for local albums or only of streamed ones from Tidal or Qobuz?

Hi Carl

Roon Core running on PC

PC is Intel i5 processor , 8GB Ram, 64 bit operating system.

All devices connected by Wifi, Core is hardwired.

The problem occurs with local albums and streamed albums from Qobuz and Tidal

Hi Carl, any update for me

Hi @Kevin_Wynne,m

Thanks for the additional information, nothing more from me … Roon’s support team will follow up with you in due course.

1 Like

Hello @Kevin_Wynne,

I appreciate your patience while your case reached my queue.

Can I please ask that you provide a screenshot of your Device Setup tab for the Chord2Go zone (Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cogwheel next to Chord zone -> Device Setup) and a screenshot of your Signal Path when you have content playing to it?

Do you have the latest firmware update installed on the Chord2Go zone? Also, does this same issue occur for your Core’s System Output zone (the PC’s internal speakers)?

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I’ll need to park this for a bit.

In an unrelated incident the Chord Hugo 2 battery has died, and is in for repair,

However, worth noting that now that I am using the Arcam SA30 as a Roon endpoint , as opposed to Chord Go2(attached to Hugo 2) the problem has seemingly gone!!

1 Like

Thanks for the update here @Kevin_Wynne, do let us know when the Chord2Go is back and if you wish to look into this further. I should also mention that the Chord2Go is currently still being certified by our hardware team, so if this was the only affected zone, then further improvements in this area may be possible once certification is complete.

1 Like

Hi Noris,

The Chord 2go is back in use now, and distortion is still happening. I’ve reached out to Arcam themselves to see if they can identify any problem with the Dirac used in their amp. The distortion did also occur with the Arcam amp when used as a Roon endpoint, but as you know, like the 2go it is also uncertified at the current time.
So hopefully some news on the certification issue, or if/when Arcam get back to me about Dirac will see this problem move forward.

@Kevin_Wynne what sample rates are you feeding 2Go ?

Are you upsampling to PCM705/768kHz in Roon?

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom

I am not feeding it anything over 192k. The majority of times it’s 48k or less.

No upsampling being done.

1 Like

No problem, it’s not what I was initially thinking then.

Can you disable Dirac (temporarily, just for testing purposes)?

Does the problem disappear when Dirac is disabled?

Hi @dabassgoesboomboom, yes I can disable Dirac. This can be done when enabling Analogue Direct. The problem disappears using Analogue Direct.

1 Like

Good info.

If you haven’t told Arcam that the problem disappears with Dirac off, you should let them know. That might help them with troubleshooting.

If you have already, hopefully they can highlight your issue and get a fix.

I have a chord mojo that is very susceptible to interference when near a mobile that causes distortion. I’m wondering whether Dirac is causing a similar issue through Wi-fi or Bluetooth? Is it possible to move the chord a distance away from the amp?

Yes, I’ve told Arcam it’s ok with Dirac off.

1 Like

Hi unfortunately the Chord is connected to amp by RCA cables, so cannot move a big distance

Maybe a meter will be enough. I’m only suggesting it to rule it out

1 Like