Dirac update , Roon and VST/AU plugins

Cool. I hope you enjoy the new setup. I think roon and dirac should come to terms with each other and save us all these troubles. Good mental exercise but one can live without.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly how it should be - everything else just has negative consequences as you mentioned with low quality DAC etc.
I wish for the whole Roon / Dirac community to have such a solution in an easy to use setup to be available soon.
Still wonder how to approach this with my Devialet amplifier / streamer.

AFAIK, both the Devialet speakers and amplifier ranges support UPnP natively, so you could adopt the approach myself and shinyc have adopted as a starting point?

Yes it supports UPnP - how is this setup done? Roon is running on a QNAP NAS, but donā€™t know how to seamlessly integrate Dirac Live into that.

Foobar2000K (which is a necessary component to run Dirac vst dll) runs on windows platform (only, I think) so if your QNAP OS is windows, you might be able to run everything on the NAS. If not running windows os, you need to install components other than roon on a separate Windows PC. In any case, you just need to check the currently running roonā€™s ā€œEnable Squeezebox Supportā€ setting to ā€œEnabledā€ so it can look for LMS-toUPnP running on the same network. If you are comfortable with software/network stuff, give it a go with lots of patience.

QNAP NAS is running Linux - and apart from that just got a MacBook. So would need a different approach.

You can use https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/ for your mac. This is a much simpler solution. I used to use it on my mac setup until jplay came along which required windows and upnp. That was when Dirac v1.0 was in place. I was only able to do 44.1khz with audiohijack then. It might have changed for the better so do give it a try. Free trial is available for the audiohiack. It is much more user friendly.

FYI: Dirac has again enabled the 14 day trial for their VST plugin: https://live.dirac.com/pro-audio/

2 Likes

And as a separate update, I installed the Dirac plugin and unfortunately the Foobar VST host is too buggy to allow the Dirac calibration software to work with the plugin.

I did manage to get around this by installing a DAW (reaper) and doing the calibration while using the DAW as the VST host. Once you have created the filter, you can again enable the foobar VST host and luckily the calibration software is able to transfer the now calculated filters to it.

So roon wishes to stay away from vst and upnp. If I were a product/qa/qc manager, I would stay away from them as well.

Chances are there Roon & Dirac work together on a seamless solution.

I donā€™t see any evidence that is the case, in fact the oppositeā€¦

Fortunately they really are having talks - hopefully Covid-19 is not causing too many troubles on this topic or a shift in priorities. Hopefully @enno can give as an update on this.

1 Like

Can you share where you heard about the potential collaboration?

From Dirac

1 Like

I am an experienced Roon and Dirac Live user and can tell you Dirac seems to move terribly slowly on a number of levels. I have never heard any discussion of real integration with a Roon in the way Roon PEQ or convolution would work. Add that to the fact that Dirac struggled to push their new standalone version of Dirac Live to market successfully for years , and promised a bass management module would be available on a number of products that has yet to materialize. I love the product, but waiting on Dirac to deliver a rumored product is likely a path to frustration. Been there.

They are delivering Dirac Live 3.0 and their new bass management. Check their Facebook page for recent updates. Also many new vendors will rollout their products with Dirac this year.

I canā€™t check FB right now but did look at the Dirac Live site quickly and did not see any Roon related news there. My bigger point is that Dirac announcing or mentioning a product and having it be available for the general public to purchase and use is not the sane thing. I am guessing the word delivered may be a poor choice of words for whatever news of collaboration is out there - but I rally am hoping I am wrong.

I am fairly certain Dirac said the bass management module they started talking about last fall would run on the NAD 658 and and M10. Recent chatter on web forums would suggest that is not the case.

I consider myself lucky to have Dirac Live 2.0 working well on my NAD 658 and M10 - but am not expecting much more than that for some time.

Yes really check their Facebook page, posting regular updates. For example http://diracdocs.com/Bass%20Control%20in%20Live.pdf

1 Like