Disappearing Albums?

I got up this morning, and 80% of my library (4000+ albums) had disappeared from Roon overnight. I restarted, and now they’re all being scanned back in, but I can see that the many hours I spent fixing tags, setting up alternate versions, etc. etc. is all gone, and now I have to do it all over again. (Ugh.) …which I don’t want to do if this is just going to happen again. But using roon without making these changes is kind of a non-starter for me.

Any idea what happened? Thanks.

Brock - I’ve seen this too. In my case I believe it happens (once every couple of months) because I schedule my NAS to go to sleep every evening and awake the next evening. On rare occasion I find ROON disables one or two Watched Folders. You can try going into Settings->Storage and see if any of the watched folders are disabled. If so then enable and you should be fine. The other thing to try is restarting your Roon Core. In either case things are quickly restored and nothing is lost.

1 Like

Hi @Brock_Bair ------ Thank for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. In order to better understand what may have happened may I kindly ask you to please provide the following information:

1. Please provide a brief but accurate description of your current setup as seen here.

2. Please describe your network configuration/topology, providing insight into any networking hardware you are implementing in your setup.

-Eric

Thanks @rayski and @Eric.

@rayski… Nothing goes to sleep overnight in my setup, but good to know for the future.

@Eric… Here’s your info:

2011 Macbook Pro, 8bg RAM
OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
Roon 1.2 (build 165) stable (64bit)
Music is stored on an external USB 3.0 drive, connected via an OWC thunderbolt dock.
Collection size is roughly 75,000 tracks.
My network isn’t involved: Roon > HQP > USB > DAC > RCA > Amp

One update is that after the rescan, most of my prior edits seem to be in place, with the exception of a bunch of albums previously marked as alternate versions. Still curious why everything disappeared though. The rescan took a long time.

Also, while I have you, there’s another thing that’s bugging me that I can’t figure out. I’ll use one example, but this sort of thing is happening all over my library. In iTunes, I have these three albums:

Slim Harpo ‎– The Excello Singles Anthology (44 tracks)
 Lazy Lester ‎– I Hear You Knockin'!: The Excello Singles (30 tracks)
 ...and a compilation: The Best Of Excello Records (30 tracks)

The compilation contains a fair number of tracks that are also found on the other two artist albums. All 104 tracks have been tagged carefully, completely, and accurately in iTunes.

In my Roon library, none of the three albums is complete. Worst is the compilation, which only lists four tracks. It seems that Roon has decided “he has this track elsewhere, so I don’t need to display it as part of this album.” Even worse, Roon has sorted some of the compilation tracks onto the artist albums, and vice versa. Bottom line: it’s incomplete, and it’s a mess.

I’ve tried retagging everything exactly according to Roon recommendations. I’ve done that twice: once in iTunes, and once using tagr. I’ve tried re-scanning, re-identifying, and “fix track grouping.” Nothing has worked.

Is there some setting I’ve missed that’s causing this to happen?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I just added the same three albums to my library at work, and they set up perfectly in Roon here. At work, my more limited library is stored directly on an iMac’s internal HDD.

Hi @Brock_Bair ------ Thank you for the feedback and my apologies as it has been a few days since you last heard from me. Can you verify the following information for me:

1. Your external Drive connected via the OWC thunderbolt dock. This appears as local drive in finder correct? As opposed to a network drive.

In regard to the example you’ve provided:

Slim Harpo ‎– The Excello Singles Anthology (44 tracks)
Lazy Lester ‎– I Hear You Knockin’!: The Excello Singles (30 tracks)
…and a compilation: The Best Of Excello Records (30 tracks)

1. Can you confirm for me how these files are stored on disk (meaning file names and folder structure) and that each album has consistent file tags for album title and album artist?

-Eric

Hi @Eric

Since I wrote, I got everything straightened out by changing one thing about the way the files were tagged, and then by figuring out how to sort individual tracks manually in Roon. It was a little arduous, but for those three albums at least, I’ve got everything sorted out.

Here’s what I did:

Quit Roon
For the one compilation, changed “part of a compilation” tag to no (unchecked) in iTunes
Copied all the source files to my desktop
Deleted the source files (really deleted) via iTunes
Quit iTunes to make sure the library was saved
Rebooted the external drive
Started Roon, and confirmed that the files were gone from Roon
Quit Roon.
Started iTunes and added the files copied to my desktop
Started Roon, confirmed after a while that all the files were in my Roon library
They were

…however, they were still all mixed up between the albums. So after a lot of fiddling, I figured out how to sort track-by-track in Roon.

Bottom line: that one case is fixed, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it elsewhere, just can’t recall where. So if you have ideas that might be simpler than what’s above, I’d sure like to know about it.

If it’s still helpful, here’s some screen shots that should answer your questions. These are from after I changed the “part of a compilation” tag. The Music folder in the Favorites is in the external HDD, which appears as a local drive in the finder.

Thanks for your help. Love Roon.

Hi @Brock_Bair ----- Thank you for the follow up, I am pleased to hear that you’ve figure out a fix here :clap: :+1:

It’s hard to know what went wrong without having seen your file tags/folder structure before and after things were fixed, but if you run into this again let us know before making changes and we’ll get to the bottom of it :slight_smile:

-Eric