Discography not loading for some artists [Solved]

Hey @James_Hobson, @Bolus, @jaygot

My apologies for the delayed response, I meant to get back to you sooner with an update. We’ve been able to replicate this in-house as of Tuesday (on my own setup actually - I’m not seeing discography for King Curtis or Dickey Betts) and a ticket is in with the Dev team.

@Bolus your Core is on an unsupported machine. You’re running a Celeron based core in a docker. While your library is still relatively manageable, and your CPU is unlikely to be the cause of your issues in this case, we have seen myriad issues for Celeron and Atom based cores. I would recommend that you migrate your Core to the Windows 11 machine you’re currently using as a remote.

I’ll be back in touch once we have determined the cause of this issue. We’ve noted that entering a few characters from the desired album, if known, to the filter function will display albums. While certainly not ideal, it offers a bit of a workaround until we get this resolved.

Hi @jamie - thanks for the update, much appreciated. Sorry that you’re experiencing the issue your side but hopefully this will speed up identifying the problem. :slight_smile:

Thank you for that @James_Hobson, I appreciate that. The ticket is currently with our Dev lead. I’ve also been using the King Curtis and Dickey Betts>Overview>Recommended albums lists to get me through.

Curiously, I’m able to see all of the discographies you chaps have mentioned in the thread. But no Memphis Soul Stew for me! :joy:

I’m having the same problem - for instance, I can’t see a discography for George Michael but I can see one for Johnny Hartman. The only service I use/have connected is Tidal. If I can provide any information to help solve this, please let me know.

Any update on this? I find that many artists’ discographies won’t load for me - what can I provide to help figure this out?

Do I need to post this somewhere else to get a response?

Hey @Eric_Luther,

Sorry for the delay on this, we’re still looking for a solution for those who are seeing blank discographies and have Qobuz and TIDAL synced in Roon - such as myself. I’m also seeing additional discographies with blank pages.

Since you only have TIDAL synced in Roon, try this:

• First, check to see if you have a recent backup or create a fresh backup

• Close Roon or Stop Roon Server

• Then locate your Roon Database

• Navigate to Database>Registry>Core

• Locate the TIDAL_account file and delete it

• Restart Roon or Roon Server

• Log back into TIDAL

• Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks so much for the reply - I came to this late and just wanted to keep it alive.

I just did as you recommended but when I restarted the Roon Server and started Roon again, the discography problem remained. For what it’s worth, I checked the SERVICES tab under SETTINGS in ROON and it tells me my Tidal library was successfully synched and I went ahead and manually synched it again, but the discography problem is still there.

Thanks again,
Eric

Hi Jamie, just to add I only have Qobuz, not Tidal. So the issue is affecting users having any combination of streaming services. Thanks.

Hey @James_Hobson

Please try the steps I provided for Eric but for Qobuz:

• First, check to see if you have a recent backup or create a fresh backup
  • Close Roon or Stop Roon Server
  • Then locate your Roon Database
  • Navigate to Database>Registry>Core
  • Locate the Qobuz_account file and delete it
  • Restart Roon or Roon Server
  • Log back into Qobuz
  • Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks Jamie - I’m afraid that didn’t work for me either.

Thank you for getting back to me @James_Hobson. You and @Eric_Luther need to reset your Roon database.

• Make a Backup of your current RoonServer Database
  • Exit out of RoonServer
  • Navigate to your RoonServer’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Reinstall the RoonServer App from our Downloads Page to generate a new RoonServer folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • If everything starts up as expected and discographies are present then attempt to restore your most recent backup. If the issue reappears restore a backup that predates your discovery of the discography page issues.

Thanks and I will do that ASAP. But this has been an issue for a while so I doubt I have a backup that predates the discovery of the discography page issues. If I don’t, what does that mean in pragmatic terms? In other words, what happens if I don’t restore my last database backup?

Thanks again,
Eric

So I did that and I’m trying to restore my last backup but I’m having trouble adding the Network Share required for ROON to see my backup. I use a PC and can see my Roon NUC drive as Data \\ROCK (Z:) in my Windows explorer. The backups are in a folder called BACKUP on this ROCK drive. But no matter what I try (and I’ve looked at ROON’s instructions) I get an INVALID NETWORK PATH error message. What could I be doing wrong? It worked before I did this, but I neglected to check/record my network share information that I was using.

PS: When I use this syntax - \Z\ROCK to try and add the network share, I get a “Host not found” error instead of an invalid network path (I have two back slashes in front of the Z, but the first one gets deleted when I post my messages)

UPDATE - I’m going to upload the backup to Dropbox and see if I can restore it from there.
I would still like to know how to properly Add Network Share, though…

UPDATE: I copied my backup folder to Dropbox but, when I try to restore the database, I get a “restore failed - check your backup folder” type message. And I can’t get the Network Share to work so I’m at a real loss. The discography seems to be working/displaying fine now, but I’ve lost all the stuff that comes with my database. Any help you can offer to restore my network sharing so I can attempt to restore my database would be most appreciated.

Well, first of all, I would suggest that this is a really bad location to hold backups. You’ve put your backup folder on the m.2 SSD of your ROCK/NUC - the SSD where the Roon OS, Roon and its database is held. If anything goes wrong with that SSD, you will lose everything. If anything goes wrong with your database, and you reinstall the Roon OS to start with a fresh database, the first thing that will happen is that the backup folder will be erased, along with your database and settings.

Backups should never be stored on the m.2 SSD or on the optional internal SATA drive of a ROCK/NUC, but elsewhere. For example in a Backup folder on a USB drive attached to the NUC.

That syntax is not correct. You don’t include the drive letter in a network share, just the PC hostname and the name of the shared folder, e.g. \\PCname\Data

However, that won’t work in this particular case anyway, because I don’t think you can share folders of a mapped drive in Windows, certainly not when the mapped drive is in fact the Roon OS filesystem.

What you probably did was to add a network share referencing the ROCK/NUC directly, and you would need to use the smb syntax to do so, i.e. smb://ROCK/Data That will get you into the Roon OS filesystem and then you would have chosen the Backup folder (which you had previously created) for your backup location.

However, as I say, having your backups stored in this location is not a good idea, you should move them elsewhere.

Thank you so much for this! First of all, you are 100% correct that I shouldn’t store my backup there and I won’t any longer - I’m not even sure why I set it up that way. FWIW, I would copy the backup and put it on another drive but why even take that extra step? Just backup elsewhere to begin with. How do people feel about backing up to Dropbox? Does that seem to work well?

As for using smb://ROCK/Data - you were absolutely correct and that allowed me to share the network drive and restore my last backup. Unfortunately, the missing discography problem is still an issue, but at least I have all the DB-backed up stuff back.

Thanks again - it’s much appreciated!

I was able to get my DB restored but the missing discography for some artists is still happening.

Thanks, I am currently without my MacBook but will try this as soon as I can, just in case I have more luck than Eric.

Thank you for the update @Eric_Luther. Let’s see if @James_Hobson has different results. I’ll try a few things as well. Then I’ll bundle up our observations and send them over to QA.