search.roonlabs.net
browse.roonlabs.net
discover.roonlabs.net
metadata.roonlabs.net
internetradio.roonlabs.net

there are others but try these first

all but the last are the same ip as roonlabs.net right now

internetradio.roonlabs.net has address of 35.231.208.158

OK repeat the host file config but this time delete the entry and save.

Looks like Roon are using a lot of DNS records

You could try and setup a PiHole server but I’d contact your ISP and raise a support ticket saying that you are seeing slow DNS queries that are causing problems for some apps you are using. Use the screenshots you posted above as evidence to them.

added them to the hostfile

this is the result

The result in Roon is exactly same and not better.

If you want to give the host file another crack these are most of the ones I can find that i think are releveant.

Yes some are repeated but it’s because they are CNAMES which tell the client to refer to the A record so it’s actually making your PC do 2x DNS queries (this is perfectly normal practice)

imagecache.roonlabs.net.cdn.cloudflare.net		104.22.14.70
internetradio.roonlabs.net				35.231.208.158
metadata.roonlabs.net					35.244.225.31
browse.roonlabs.net					35.244.225.31
search.roonlabs.net					35.244.225.31
push.roonlabs.com					35.244.225.31
push.roonlabs.net					35.244.225.31
discover.roonlabs.net					35.244.225.31
community.roonlabs.com					167.172.230.239
qobuz.roonlabs.net					35.231.208.158

I changed DNS in router and restarted - now I get these results. They look much better

this one is scary – i wouldnt use it.

we posted at same time, these results look much better - should this not have solved the problem?

In Roon on Overview it is quicker and Discography after changing Sort type the albums are there quickly.

So now the connection to Roon seems pretty quick, what else can we do?

I would look at setting up PiHole or another DNS cache, if you are running windows server you can setup DNS on that and set the resolver for cloudflare etc.

Personally PiHole is easy to install, setup and use.

Using the host file will likely cause problems if Roon change some IP’s or change their public DNS records etc

The last result I posted was without the changes in Host file - so they are pretty normal without extra help.

So that should have solved the problem - between 18 to 36 milliseconds is so much better than before

I thought you had changed the DNS in the router to 1.1.1.1 much earlier today?

yes I had. But after trying with the host file I changed the router DNS bach to ISP, restarted and then back to 1.1.1.1 and restarted.

Just thought I should try - and the result seems good

Ah ok, leave it alone for a day or two and see how it gets on.

2 Likes

will do - need some sleep now. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Most of those servers are pointing to Google load balancers, but they do change once in a while.

I would not hard code them in hosts or one day the IP will change unexpectedly and we’ll release an update at the same time and the update will get blamed!

The good results are without a change in the host file. The file is back to normal and the last results screenshot has good and fast values getting to roonlabs.

The issue that started all this still exist - yet not as bad anymore.
So there is still something that is not right

Are my logs better now on your end?

little steps and all that, have you tried installing ROCK on the NUC?

I already have rock on my other setup, in another place.

This nuc I would like to keep with windows.

Up until 2 weeks ago this was never a problem, been running it like that for a long time. All I want is what I had 2 weeks ago ;-))

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.