Discogs as metadata source

In what way am I not being fair?

If anything you are the one being rude in the way you just answered me with your “guess what”… You don’t have to link me 4 year old replies from Roon staff that I have already read, or a reply to my own question just a few days ago.

3 Likes

Who said you were not being fair? You are being overly sensitive in thinking everything written is intended only for you. It was an admonishment to everyone, including myself.

Rude? You are being overly sensitive. This is the Internet after all.

My problem with Discogs is it’s wikiness. Too much of the information is submitted by users and the editing and monitoring of this has (understandably given the volume) pretty much ceased. Thus, for example, there are seven entries for Albert Ayler’s Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe, each with slightly different metadata, especially for the composer information (the tracks are the same for all seven). Some entries identify the tracks on which Mary Maria is the vocalist, some don’t. That Ayler plays bagpipes on one track is identified in different ways in different entries. Using Discogs metadata is not an automatic process, but often requires evaluating different options which in turn often requires information from other sources (I have a cd of Healing Force so I can do this with these entries).

Anything would be better than nothing though.

The solution is to add releases from Discogs into Musicbrainz and this can be done in a semi automated way (although only one release at a time). Once they are in MusicBrainz then Roon will be able to pick then up

Any update on the Discogs integration? It would be much appreciated.

I agree that Discogs would be great. Some of the tags I see are way off in roon….and nearly everything Im ripping sems to add Pop/Rock when they are clearly note. Seems to be a default tag just to cover everything. Discogs seems to be very accurate

1 Like

Any update on this? I would love to see this implemented soon

I am currently ripping my vinyls with the wonderful Sony PS-HX500 to DSD. Metadata detection within Roon in this scenario is downright useless. What I am currently doing is to tag these rips with mp3tag.
How this works is just to enter the unique discogs release ID in mp3tag then I am able to tag/match the release properly

I am not saying that Roon should handle the metadata detection 100% which is honestly nearly impossible for vinyl rips because of differing timecodes/file hashes. But it would be great to simply have the possibility to paste the discogs ID in the release identification screen.

1 Like

Reminds me of a feature request I once made for the already existing metadata sources:

Several years have passed since this post was opened, but we still do not have an option available that would allow us to put the Discogs code and thus Roon would take the data.

Many 70’s records that I have in my collection are missing from Roon’s database.
I spend many hours entering data and selecting formats, years, etc.

Can you do something about it?

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I doubt that Discogs would let Roon mine their data without charging a fee.

Would you be willing to pay extra for this feature? Probably not.

Roon already licenses metadata from other sources. The main issue with Discogs is that their data schema is quite different from other sources and Roon’s metadata schema, so reconciling Discogs with everything else would be complicated and error-prone.

Try SongKong, it gets data from MusicBrainz and Discogs

You can externally add metadata to your files and then “force” Roon to use your metadata

3 Likes

use tagscanner

it scrapes all from discogs to the mp3/flac tags

i use it to scrape my vinyl rips

1 Like

There were thoughts posted years ago on discogs as a source

Yes, I understand. My point was that an extra metadata source would raise Roon’s costs, not to mention the complexity of coding for that. :neutral_face:

1. You can use the Discogs monthly download free of charge http://data.discogs.com/ , even if for whatever reason there was a charge as this is not part of Discogs core business I seriously doubt it would be that much compared to suppliers like Rovi/AllMusic.

2. Paraphrasing I know but the linked post reads to me as ‘the depth of the metadata provided by community projects such as Discogs and MusicBrainz is not on par with commercial data, and not that much point using it because they dont have extras such as reviews’. I would disagree, I have found the depth of data of MusicBrainz is significantly greater than commercial providers and more accurate (what they lack is breadth), Discogs is not as good but it does have plenty of performer information and plenty of artists and releases not in MusicBrainz so I really don’t understand the hesitance in using it. I would think the number one priority of customers regarding metadata would be 100% identification of their library, and things such as reviews would be secondary, but since MusicBrainz links to many 3rd party sites such as Wikipedia reviews they are available anyway via a link.

6 Likes

I regularly use Discogs data as part of Orange CD (a music collection database) and dbpoweramp; I find it invaluable. The difficulty I see with it is automating its use. Discogs often has multiple entries for an album - each release version gets an entry - and these entries can vary in the amount, kinds, and quality of metadata they have for the same album. Choosing which one to use is - for me - often a matter of human judgement that might be difficult to turn into an algorithm. That said, dbpoweramp does have some algorithm for Discogs as it presents a single set of metadata from Discogs for an album - but all too often I find that choice to be less than ideal. Like many cd/lp databases, Discogs particularly struggles to find a consistent way to manage classical metadata.

Totally agree,
how can Roon add additional metatdata (reviews etc) if it can’t even identify the album or artist.
It makes no sense to me.
Not all of us buy\stream music from major labels.