Disconnect between metadata and Roon

@Fernando_Pereira. Thank you for the recommendation. I’ve downloaded and installed a trial version of Yate. I’ve loaded the album and had a play with Bizet’s Symphony in C.

Here’s how I’ve permed the metadata:

And here’s the result:

So now Roon is recognizing the composer but see the movements as four separate works. Can you tell me which other settings I need to change?

I’m not Fernando :sunglasses: but anyway and since I’ve brought Yate into play: the track titles should still be set to Work title - ## Movement number - your Symphony in C has got unified Track titles which is probably not good. Append the movement names (back) to the track titles then roon should be able to distinguish the tracks and maybe even group them together. (Added: Keep the work / part fields, of course.)

Note: you could automate the task of adding content from one field to another with Yate but maybe you save that experiment for later and stick to manual.

Thanks, @anon47919701. I think I’ve done as you suggested.

But it’s not giving me the result I was hoping for.

Can you help me spot the undeliberate mistake?

Well, you hope for composition identification, right? The grouping looks fine in your screenshot.

What you could try:

• Check, if you have other versions of the work identified in your library.
  • If yes: change the WORK name of the unidentified tracks to match the one of those which are already identified. You could also check if the composer is spelled identically (as mentioned a above I think).
  • If not: the only chance I can see here is to add the album at musicbrainz and wait for roon to import the metadata from there. For albums not present at all in roons metadata set this usually takes two days. So no immediate gratification for the effort …

Yes, you hope! There are no other copies of those works in my music library right now. So can I add the album at musicbrainz via Yate? Or what’s the best way of going about it?

No, unluckily you would have to do this at the musicbrainz site with all the hassle this involves as setting up an account, reading the guidelines - and you really need to read the guidelines, especially for classical music - and then entering the data more or less manually, if you’re not familiar with things like Tampermonkey (I’m not, so don’t ask me :wink: …).

Maybe others have better ideas. Sorry.

Hmmm. I think life’s too short. I’ll live with things as they are, at least for the time being. Thanks for all your help in the meanwhile. And have a great weekend.

1 Like

In my experience, composition identification is much more reliable if you tag all tracks of the composition with a WORK tag with value the exact composition name from Allmusic.com.

1 Like

But as far as I understood roon needs to have identified the composition somehow before. So if the composition appears for the first time and only in an unidentified album roon feels lost - but I may be wrong about it.

I posted the answer earlier.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean that a composition is only linked to a Roon composition object if there is an album in my collection that 1) contains that composition, and 2) has been identified by Roon? This doesn’t seem quite what is going on in my collection. I have a 67 disc boxset “Pierre Boulez: The Complete Columbia Album Collection” that cannot be identified correctly by Roon – there is something by that name in Roon’s metadata database, but it is badly incomplete, it lacks most of the discs. So, that boxset is in my Roon collection, but unidentified. However, consider disk 37. The first 8 tracks are “El Sombrero de tres picos, ballet in 2 parts, G. 53” by Manuel de Falla. I have no other version of this composition. Yet, it seems to have a composition record in my Roon database:

not sure it is really idenified as a composition in your DB. I am getting more info than just the name

Roon will create a local composition object, but that’s different to tying that object up with the Roon metadata object with (hopefully) rich metadata.

Hi @Joel,

I see all three cases that have been described in this thread

1. Composition linked to roon metadata
  2. Composition only locally linked
  3. Composition not linked at all (no counter on album page, no results returned by the composition filter)

So, I have a couple of questions.

1. Why do I sometimes get 2) and sometimes get 3)? With 3) I cannot do anything at all but in cases where I have 2) I can at least group these local objects together which I find useful with for example Vinyl rips and more obscure repertoire where it is better than nothing.

2. You mentioned that it is currently not possible to identify compositions in unidentified albums where no previously identified composition exists. Are there any plans to change that. I find that identifying compositions in unidentified albums really helps tying these albums into the general roon flow, as otherwise they tend to be lost not showing up in various searches, filters, focus etc. In many ways, identifying as much as possible secondary to a complete “album” identification is even more important in unidentified albums. Maybe it is also impacting radio / discovery as well?

3 Likes

Hi @Philip_Gibson, I have been away from my PC but it looks like others have chipped in and taken your case as far as it can go, unfortunately without result this time. But in general with roon, to get the best out of it, it’s not really enough to get an album id, you really need a composition id as well. As several have mentioned, trying to second guess roon is not the way to go. When I fail to get a composition id, for example, I just mindlessly cut and paste from allmusic whilst doing something else (ie. listening to music). It may not have been strictly necessary but usually its quicker.

The benefits are clear enough with classical music but I don’t think it’s generally realised there are a lot of benefits with pop/jazz/rock/folk/country/electronic etc. etc. Roon can be really good at winkling out obscure and left-field covers in corners of your library you have completely forgotten about and this makes really interesting playlists. And one day I hope really interesting radio queues. Unfortunately, my experience is that composition handling in popular genres is even more challenging than classical. Public metadata databases are often more incomplete and inaccurate and other rules also apply. Whereas joint composition credits are relatively rare in classical, for example, they are extremely common in popular genres, sometimes extending to 6/7 or more credits. I find that incomplete composition credits in popular genres is the most common reason I fail to get a composition id.

Maybe have a look at SongKong , it has a demo period

It identifies tracks by lookup in the MusicBrainz and or Discogs dbs

If you have a “difficult “ Album it can often help to do it before importing into Roon

It covers Work and Part as well

Mike

I am new to Roon, but my first impression is that they don’t know how to organize information which should be the ONLY good reason to buy it. Since I don’t have time to fix what I shouldn’t have to fix in ROON a much better idea is to use media monkey at a much lower price. In Texas we would say ROON is all hat and definitely no cattle. I have been really happy with Media Monkey and after this detour will gladly go back.

Lee

If you like roon you will love media monkey. Roon should spend its time making file converters for all databases and have its own proprietary one.