Discover does not curate music in my library due to library album [Ticket In]

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon-NAS - Roon Version 1.7 (build 511)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple Time Capsule

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

ifi iDSD Pro

When I select the “Discover” option music suggestions no longer load. I only see the roon icon. I have left the roon user interface on “Discover” and after 10 minutes no music suggestions load in the user interface. I believe this happened after the v1.7 update but was working prior. Am I missing a setting or is it something else?

Don

Hi @Don_Ashley,

Since experiencing this issue have you tried rebooting your Core machine?

Can you share a screenshot of what you see when you try to go to Discover?

Hi @dylan
I rebooted once or twice before posting. I did once again this evening with the same result. I have attached a screenshot of the UI after 1-2 hours after clicking on the Discover option.

Don

The same has been happening with me since 1.7 was installed. I thought it would be fixed eventually.

Hi @Don_Ashley,

Outside of loading this page have you seen any other issues loading other pages in Roon?

How large is your database? If you go to Overview how many tracks does it show you have?

Is your Core connected via Ethernet?

Hi @dylan

My physical system configuration is identical to pre/post v1.7. The core is connected via Ethernet to my access point.

I’m not experiencing issues with any other pages loading in roon. They take 1-2 seconds.

The database has 8223 albums and 103079 tracks. These consist of my personal collection and Tidal.

Thanks, @Don_Ashley.

I think the next step here is to enable diagnostics on your account. First, I’m hoping you can do the following:

1. Provide some additional details about the specs of your Core machine
  2. Reboot the Core machine
  3. Launch Roon and open the discover page — make a note of the time you do so
  4. Respond here with that timestamp and the details on your Core machine

Thanks!

Hi @dylan

The Core machine is a QNAP. The following are details from the QNAP UI.

Roon runs on the SSD drive. Music files are on SATA drives in a RAID 5 configuration.

Here is the QNAP Log after shut down and restart.

I clicked on "Discover at 11:02 am pst.

Hi @Don_Ashley,

Thank you for providing that information/timestamp.

I have activated diagnostics mode for your QNAP and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our diagnostics servers. I can confirm that the report has been received and am looking over it now.

In the logs, I am noticing a few time-related issues. Can you please confirm if the QNAP has the correct system time set?

Also, I noticed that your screenshot appears to be from a MacOS Client, can you confirm if the same behavior occurs on multiple Roon Clients/Remotes?

Hi @noris
The QNAP is set for GMT-8:00 Pacific time.
Date format is yyyy/mm/dd
Time is set for 24hr

I checked the system time this morning and it matches my time zone.
I have the same experience on all Roon Client/Remotes. Two MacOS (Mac Mini & MacBook Pro) This includes my iOS device (iPad).

Hi @Don_Ashley,

Thank you for checking the time aspect . I have requested that QA take a look at logs to see if they can help in this case. I appreciate your patience until this reaches their queue, as soon as I have more information here I will be sure to let you know, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Don_Ashley

I spoke to QA and there does not appear to be much information in the Core logs unfortunately. As a follow-up step, we should take a look a the Roon Remote/Client logs.

I noticed you were able to reproduce the issue on Monday December 30th at 8:22PM, do you recall which MacOS device you were using at this time? Could you please send a log set from the MacOS you were using by following these instructions?

To clarify, this log set would be from the remote, not the Core.

@noris

Hi @Don_Ashley,

Thanks for sending those logs over. Unfortunately, there is not much information contained in them regarding this issue though.

Would it be possible for you to check if one of the MacOS devices exhibit the same behavior when they’re running in Core mode? To make this switch, you can use these instructions:

• Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
  • Install the Roon app on the other PC
  • If you have an existing installation go Roon Settings -> General -> Disconnect
  • On the Choose your Core screen, select “Use this PC”
  • Do not restore your old database yet
  • Verify if the same issue is occurring on the other PC

@noris
I backed up the Roon Database on the QNAP core. I noticed the database I have scheduled to backup to the SSD drive was no longer backing up. It did successfully back up manually.

I set the Mac Mini backup as the core. Two years ago I was using the Mac mini as the core and had it pointing to a different NAS drive. After switching the Mac mini as the core I could see the music files from the old NAS drive and the “Discover” feature appeared to be working. Switching between overview and back to Discover would show different recommendations.

Did I prove there is an issue with the QNAP NAS when configured as a core?
Should I have the MAC mini point to the QNAP array and determine if the Discover features works? I will hold off doing that so I don’t cause any issues with the backup of the database.

Thank you
Don

Hi @Don_Ashley,

Yes, I would say that if it doesn’t reproduce on the Mac Mini then something about the QNAP is preventing discovery from working properly.

I would next try using a fresh database on the QNAP to see if the behavior is the same. To do so, you will need to open up the QNAP App Center, stop RoonServer from running, set the Roon Database location to another folder and restart RoonServer.

If you want to be extra safe, you can also point the Mac Mini to the QNAP before changing the database and save another backup of your QNAP database to the Mac Mini.

@noris
I’m still having issues with the "Discover’ feature on the QNAP NAS after creating the new database. I did it again and during the scanning process I clicked on Discover and it worked. After a few hundred records scanned I would click on the “Discover” option and the recommendations changed.

After the the scanning completed the “Discover” feature stops working.

Any ideas what I should try next?

Thank you
Don

@noris
I wanted to share the following.
I was experimenting to try and get the discover feature to work. I monitored the "Discover page during a new scan of a new database location. The discover feature was working until the scan reached approximately 37000 - 38000 tracks of the 46000.

@noris
Another update.

I suspect the issue is caused by one of the albums in my collection. My music library consists of two folders. Both folders are used for my roon core, and one folder is a selection of music I sync to a Sony player that doesn’t support roon. Both folders are in the same folder I point the roon library to.

Since the issue appeared to happen when reaching the 37000 - 38000 scanned track point I decided to try connecting the roon library to one of the two folders. I picked the folder with a smaller number of albums. When the scan reached the approximate halfway point of this folder the “Discover” feature stopped working.

I’m going to create a new folder and will copy groups of albums over to the new folder to determine when the “Discover” feature hangs up.

Don

@noris
I found the culprit. There was one artist/album that resulted in the Discover’ feature to stop working. Removed it from the library and it is functional.

Now I need to figure out how to get my favorite and playlists back.