Discovering new music...! Suggestion

Could you include a Discovr type function to Roon? Look at the app, which works with Spotify. Also beautifully animated!

We already have discover, I use it a lot for ideas.

Itā€™s even called ā€œDiscoverā€. I like it except that I wish it continued down the page, not restarting at the top each time.

1 Like

It would be a lot more useful if Discover included music in Tidal that has not been already added to your library. I requested this and some similar enhancements several months ago.

2 Likes

I suggested this too. The current Discover is really only rediscover. Showing you what you already have. For those with a Tidal membership, it would be great to to also discover whatā€™s not already in library.

2 Likes

With 100000 tracks Iā€™m quite happy to be rediscoveringā€¦ :wink:

I very much enjoy the rediscovery too.

It would also be nice to also take advantage of Tidalā€™s whole library and find suggestions to albums and artist you might like but donā€™t have. Have this as an additional feature.

Just a heads up for those who may not know of last.fm. I came across it with Roon and Roon supports scrobbling. The music suggestions in last.fm are pretty good, although I havenā€™t checked out classical. It would be pretty cool to incorporate last.fm suggestions into Roon/Tidal.

I mostly discover new music through the ā€˜similar toā€™, ā€˜followed byā€™ type links that hold a lot of the power of Roon. But itā€™s quite a manual process, and I would just love to be able to harness Roons power in a more automated way.

Roon has my whole library, and my tidal albums, and my play history, and access to a streamed library, so itā€™s perfectly placed to seek new music for me.

So, Iā€™d love to be listening to something Iā€™m really enjoying in my library and say ā€˜find me more similar to thisā€™, and Roon build me a playlist or a selection of albums to checkout - as if a few albums were being put aside in a record shop for listening. Roon also does really nice genre/sub-genre breakdowns (a lot of which I never knew existed or what they were called), so even better if I could restrict it to genre/sub-genre/insert-other-clever-filter-Roon-designs. A ā€˜focus on similarā€™ type button would do it. As it is now I rarely use that because it doesnā€™t seem to use Roons intelligence. This could also be employed in radio.

Roon feels very slightly like two systems at once to me if Iā€™m honest - one based on file meta-data/tags on my library, the other based on its own rich meta-data with full access to vast streamed libraries, yet the two donā€™t seem to be living fully harmoniously. At least in the way I use itā€¦I think itā€™s got a lot of potential to unleash yet in this area.

Iā€™ve asked for a focus type feature for Tidalā€™s library and think they said it was not possible since dealing with millions of tracks. Promised some more integration in future updates is all.

I was hoping to be able to look at Tidalā€™s library by a certain record label and year range. Or country and genre the way we can do with our own library.

All I can do now is use the similar/influenced sections and add a lot of albums to my library so I can focus on them later.

Thereā€™s lots of ideas we have for more Discovery type features in the future. Including the TIDAL library is right at the top of that list. Iā€™m putting a lot of energy into figuring out ways we can make it easier and more fun to find something to listen to, I think it is one of the areas we have a lot of room to explore.

2 Likes

Great to hear!

I came back just to add an example of the way ā€˜focus on similarā€™ works currently.

Iā€™m playing the Drive Sountrack. I canā€™t focus on similar playing, but click the album and do ficus on similar. The results are almost half my library. 418 out of 906 albums - ie not very useful at all.

Roon is incredibly powerful under the hood, but I donā€™t think the user can properly harness it yet. The rich meta data that it holds isnā€™t harnessed intelligently here for example - it should easily be able to give me a very focused list of properly similar albums (maybe with optional sub filters - restrict to OSTs, genre/sub-genre, age, base on playback history, etc, etc).

I think adding more features like this will drastically increase its USP.

+1 for integration of Tidal Library in Discover

@Brian2, hereā€™s a related suggestion: Show/List Similar Albums from library in album page

2 posts were split to a new topic: Discovering new music - more suggestions

For years Iā€™ve wondered what the value of last.fm was/is. Seems they just collect data and unless one uses more than a single app to scrobble there is limited value (except for Last.fm who presumably sells the data to fund the 'service). By the way, your link is dead.

This thread is 4 years old.

1 Like

Oops, when it I saw the date I thought it was Feb 16th, didnā€™t realize it was Feb 2016. Perhaps having the year XXXX would be helpful.

2 Likes

Time to close it then!