Discovery and genre function hanging since a few weeks

Hi,

I cannot use the Discovery or Genre function anymore. This happens every time I try it. When I click ‘Discover’, it shows the startup animation indefinetely. When I click ‘Genre’ it does show me all artists per genre, but when I select an artist , it shows the startup animation indefinetely. I can start a shuffle of a genre however.
This happens both in the Roon app on my Iphone 6 and in on my Windows pc. It all worked fine for months up until a few weeks ago.
Many thanks for any insights
Michiel

My audio setup:

• In the living room: 2x Devialet Phantom Silver plus Dialog, Chromecast Audio Tos linked to Devialet Phantom.
  • In the kitchen: NAD-D3020 connected via USB to Linux server running Roon server

My file storage:

• Zyxel NAS 326.
  • 2x 3 TB Toshiba , RAID 1,
  • 100 Mbit connection fixed
  • plm 27.800 files imported in Roon (Flac and mp3)

My network
switched network Ubiquiti Unifi. 8 ports 1 Gbit switch. Unifi security gateway, Unifi Wireless Accespoint

My Roon server
Server OS

• Ubuntu Linux 16.04.4

Server hardware:

• Biostar H110MHV3 Motherboard - Micro ATX, Intel H110, Socket 1151, DDR3, USB 3.0, HDMI, VGA
  • Kingston 16 Gb SSD
  • 4 Gb Ram
  • Intel Pentium G4560 (3,5 Ghz)
  • 1 Gbit fixed network connection

CPU load averages 1.81 (1 min) 1.56 (5 mins) 1.05 (15 mins)
CPU usage 3% user, 1% kernel, 11% IO, 85% idle
Real memory 1.04 GB used, 3.79 GB total
Virtual memory 0 bytes used, 977 MB total
Local disk space 7.02 GB used, 13.12 GB total

Hi @Michiel_van_der_Lind,

Does this only occur when you select an artist from the Genre Browser? If you go to the Artist browser or select an artist any other way does the same behavior occur?

What device is the Core machine connected to here? If you connect it directly to the primary router is there any change?

One thing I notice is that your Core machine doesn’t quite meet our recommendations. If you temporarily use the Windows machine as your Core instead of the Linux device do you experience the same behavior?

Hi,

[quote=“dylan, post:3, topic:69000, full:true”]

Does this only occur when you select an artist from the Genre Browser? If you go to the Artist browser or select an artist any other way does the same behavior occur?

What device is the Core machine connected to here? If you connect it directly to the primary router is there any change?

The core is connected to the switch, which is the most direct way to connect to the LAN here. The router is only for internet access, which also has a direct line to the switch.

One thing I notice is that your Core machine doesn’t quite meet our recommendations. If you temporarily use the Windows machine as your Core instead of the Linux device do you experience the same behavior?
[/quote]
Everything seems to be working fine with the windows machine. Can you please elaborate on not meeting the recommendations? I have 4 gb RAM, a ssd startup drive, which is 50% used (space). Is the CPU not up to spec? When I check the cpu load on the linux machine, it’s idling most of the time.

Thanks! Michiel

PS: I rebooted the linux core and after connecting to it, the Discover function seems to be working again, Genre - artist selection as well! I also deleted 2,5 Gb flac files I have to say. Is there a limit in numbers of files Roon can handle in relation to my machine’s hardware specs?

Glad to hear that things are working for you now!

The larger the database, the more power you’ll need to run things properly, so removing tracks could certainly have helped here. The CPU of the machine doesn’t quite meet our recommendations, so you could see performance issues with a larger database.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.