Distortion with new SoTM sms 200 ultra neo

Hi Frank,
I use exactly the same settings.

At the moment I’m using a Farad Super3 Power Supply
And I also tried the original power supply.
No difference in distortion.

I’m starting to suspect that something is wrong with the RME Adi-2 dac.

Hi Frans,
I also have seen another post: “Crackling in Headphones when playing Roon”.
He is also using the RME Adi-2 dac.
Perhapse it is indeed the DAC who has problems.

Does it make any difference if you turn down the RME volume?

I am away from home and cannot double check but for different reasons I had to use roon headroom management with a SoTM Neo. You can switch it on in DSP. The default is -3db but I used -9db. You can also switch on a clipping indicator which will give you a visual indicator of your buzzes and crackles. It may have nothing to do with this but it is easy to try.

Hi Peter,
Yes, when I turn the volume down, there is less distortion.

Hi Tony,
I did the same, but I use -6 db.
Still distortion on my normal (loud) listening.

Hi Frank,
Tomorrow I’m going to put in another (old Pro-Ject) dac.
Then I’ll know for sure if it’s the RME.

Tried my SoTM with different DACs, but never had a distortion.
Do you’ve tried different places and cables? Also: Are you using the latest firmware or do you’ve tried to rewrite the firmware to the SD card?

Have you tried a PC into the RME USB input in lieu of the SOTM, running Roon Bridge or other software??

My advice, read the RME manual and check your amplifier sensitivity for max output. I personally ran this very DAC for a few years… the manual is very helpful.

RME reference output in dBu. dBu is referenced to 0.775V.

XLR, balanced connection:
+19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
6,91V, 3,46V, 1,73V, 0,87V.

19dbu = 6.9volts RME thats Pro level output, and much more than most hifi gear likes on XLR inputs. I.e. 4v.

Cinch unbalanced, all 6dB lower:
+13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu, -5 dBu @ 0 dBFS
3,46V, 1,73V, 0,87V, 0,43V.

13dbu = 3.45v Way higher than most “HiFi” gear likes on unbalanced inputs. I.e. 2v

This calculator is your friend.
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

I suspect you are simply clipping your amplifier input.

1 Like

Is that on all files? Or just some rips/downloads? In my case convolution was forcing mostly compressed material to clip. A strange mixture of “remastered” historical Classical recordings where vinyl surface noise had been reduced and more modern highly compressed pop.

Those Focals are studio monitors, right? And the RME is also a studio DAC? The main thing the SOtM is doing (or claims to do) is reducing the USB noise floor. Maybe the distortion you are hearing is related to some of the recordings? I know in my case that I am most aware of it with some B&W 802’s which are also used as studio monitors. I am much less aware with a pair of Buchardt S500’s.

FOCAL SPECS:

As you can see the RME outputs “WAY” more voltage than these monitors can handle at high levels. You need to use the RME volume understanding the voltage limits of the speakers input.

Focal XLR sensitivity is +4dBu for full output. = 1.23v
RME outputs 6.9v at full tilt on XLR.

See page 20. Understand reference level settings.
Thread on the topic: Gain and volume (Page 1) — ADI-2 & 2/4 Pro series, ADI-2 DAC series — RME User Forum

I hope this helps

1 Like

Yes, and I also rewrite the latest firmware to the SD card.
I think that it is not the SoTM.

Yes, that was my former set before I got the Roon Nucleus+.

I red the RME manual, and am aware of the dBu. I use the balanced XLR connections from RME to Focal’s.
And I now use auto ref level on the RME, which always worked fine (for 2 years) but tomorrow I will try to set it to +7 dBu so I have some headroom.

Try +4dBu first, no point having headroom which clips your speaker input.
At the very least you rule out clipping.

1 Like

Hi Stephen,
I don’t have an ADI-2 FS and on the ADI-2 DAC is no setting +4.
What I can set as output is +1 or +7.

1 Like

How did you go?

I’m now in bed with a serious cold and flu, so I’m not going to try anything until I feel a bit better.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.