DNOC instead AC/DC again and again and again

Content you’re reporting an issue with

In several entries it was reported that from time to time the Back in Black album by AC/DC is moved to the artist DNOC.

In today’s (always feared by me - as it always causes a lot of issues and bad data coming through) metadata update it happened again.

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Yes, as last time (see link)

Is the album identified in Roon?

Unfortunately yes, but wrong

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

No

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

In several entries it was reported that from time to time the Back in Black album by AC/DC is moved to the artist DNOC.

In today’s (always feared by me - as it always causes a lot of issues and bad data coming through) metadata update it happened again.

Can you please solve this once forever? Or, alternatively, give me a button that prevents roon from “enriching” the data?

1 Like

Hey @Ralf_Karpa,

We’ve conducted a thorough search of our metadata this morning and can’t find DNOC associated with Back in Black by AC/DC anywhere in our index. This seems to be some kind of local library interaction. There is a cover version of the album in Roon by DNOC that your album could be getting matched with.

Can you please use the re-identify function on the album page and tell us if that seems to resolve things? Thanks!

I did that immediately when I saw this, but that did not solve it. It’s not the first time this happens.

Hello again @Ralf_Karpa,

If you’ve tried reidentifying the album and it still said it was DNOC then there could be some inconsistency in the album characteristics that’s causing the confusion.

Can you please go to EDIT from the ellipsis button on the album page and choose to use file tag metadata and see what happens, then post a screenshot of the album pahge? Thanks.

I already applied my edits (again). Here’s a screenshot of the album after selecting metadata preference.

This is the metadata I applied to the album before doing my edits.

Still my request to introduce a simple button for each album that prevents roon from touching it any further as the user is happy with what is being shown.

Hi @Ralf_Karpa,

A button of this kind can’t be created for this purpose. Roon metadata is continuously updated in the background, as additional metadata becomes available it will be added. This is intended behavior when you’re using Roon metadata.

In this case, it appears that the track times of your Back in Black album don’t match those in our database for AC/DC - Back in Black. They may be closer to the times for DNOC’s version.

If you’re using Roon metadata for that album that would explain why it’s changing to display DNOC. You can use your file metadata for this album instead of Roon’s, that will prevent the album artist from changing.

Go to the Album page, then click the ellipsis, then edit. Click Metadata Preference and click Prefer file for Title, and Album Artist. as well as any other metadata information you want to use file tags for instead of Roon’s tags. Then click Save, that should prevent the album from reverting to DNOC in the future.

I did the above recommendation. After today’s rescan initiated by roon, it was reverted back to DNOC. The 2003 version of the album is never touched by this annoying update, only the 2020 remaster. The metadata of both albums look the same (with a metadata editor).

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

You closed the thread without providing a proper solution…

Hey @Ralf_Karpa,

Sorry about that, the forum’s automated system closed the thread because the post recommending using file tags for identification was still marked as a solution.

You’re saying that you chose to use your file tags on the Album page and it still swtiched back to DNOC?

Yes, it did that. Meanwhile I entered my data again and there wasn‘t a bigger update since then.

Hi, @Ralf_Karpa

We’re sorry that you’re still dealing with this after choosing to use file tags. Does a manual band name credit change make a difference here?

Would you mind uploading the album to our media uploader so we can investigate this on our end? Please upload here and use your Community user name for the zipped file.

There is a chance that what you’re seeing could be caused by elements of old metadata in your library that retained DNOC as an alias for AC/DC. We’ve seen this previously in just a few scattered cases. If that is the cause here as well I can confidently say that it will be corrected permanently in a larger dev project we’re undertaking.

Unfortunately, it means that there’s not a way currently to overcome what you’re experiencing and that the fix will be longer in coming.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that a manual band credit change fixes this. We’ll be watching for your media files so we can determine if the problem is being caused by the aliasing issue I described.

Hi Jamie,

yes, I changed the Artist to manual as well in the past.

I uploaded the zip to the location you suggested, the filename is Ralf_Karpa.zip

Ralf.

1 Like

Hello again @Ralf_Karpa,

Sorry for the confusion, I didn’t mean to select your file tags for the Artist field. I meant to say give manually editing the Artist field a try, changing if from DNOC to AC/DC

Here’s how you do it:

• Click the ellipsis button on the album page
  • Click edit
  • Click edit album
  • Find Primary Artist Links
  • Click Add primary artist
  • Add AC/DC
  • Deselect DNOC
  • Click Save

Please try this if you haven’t already and let us know if the manual edit is retained. Thanks!

Hi Jamie,

the current problem is, that I already edited everything and it is stable when doing a re-identify. So, currently there’s no DNOC happening. I thought about the past occurrences when this happened. Always when I edited the metadata to my needs it was stable for several weeks. It changed when a “new database version” was installed by roon update, but only when about 1/3 of my albums vanished from my library and with an hours long run of identification came back one after the other (incl. artists, etc.). I have no clue why roon is doing this at all.

Ralf.

Hey @Ralf_Karpa,

Thank you for the follow-up. I’m glad to hear that the album has successfully been edited to AC/DC. Please let me know if this changes with the next update. If you’ve manually changed it and adjusted the album settings to prefer file tags you should be good now.