Do I need Nucleus, please?

Thanks, @7ryder. My apols if it was me who was not clear :slight_smile: .

Shows just how much I have to learn - and perhaps the origins of my confusion… to what extent does a Nucleus duplicate (probably unnecessarily for me) existing hardware?

I do listen in only one room… it’s likely to stay that way. (Although it may be a different room one day - soon, my wife and I hope: but I can’t subject her to my music by distributing it around the house!)

Yes, I’m pretty sure I’d connect my ParaSound (P6) to any eventual Nucleus via USB… I don’t think the P6 supports alternatives.

But I see what you are saying about using an iPhone (etc.) as a kind of ‘remote’ - as for a TV. Yes?

Really, I don’t want to complicate things, and - as others have kindly advised - I may have already got the best I can.

My concern is to try and plan for a (much) larger Library because I’ve stopped buying CDs and fear bogging down my iMac (and any further computers). If Nucleus takes processor cycles off the computer, then isn’t that a good thing?

Andreas,

I certainly envisage a one-room, one-zone only environment for the future.

It’s being able (I thought) to offload processing power to a Nucleus (and perhaps achieving better speed and audio quality - because no longer using the computer) that has caused me to consider it.

I think I can be forgiven for being confused about exactly what a Nucleus does, and why.

Am grateful for everyone’s help!

Jim,

Any advantage to that, though?

Mark, at this time, you do not need a Nucleus or a NUC or any other device to run Roon core. Do you want one? Maybe, that’s up to you, but it will not improve anything versus your current situation other than maybe the convenience of getting Roon off your computer.

At some point, you may decide you don’t like running Roon on your computer or your library may outgrow your computer. At that time, or before then, you can purchase a Nucleus, Nucleus+, NUC, or some other device to run the Roon core software.

6 Likes

Thanks, @Rockhound.

I believe I’m getting clearer.

Nucleus is an all-in-one turnkey solution for those who prefer a black box. It offers few if any audio or speed advantages. It doesn’t really take over any of the processing from a computer.

Yes?

I wouldn’t be surprised, though, if my Roon library were twice as large by this time next year, though :slight_smile:

I originally thought that one advantage of a Nucleus would be to use it as faster external storage to which the Roon core in it had better access because it wasn’t relying on my iMac’s processing power.

If you would like to move your iMac out of the listening room and use it at another location, then a dedicated Roon Core device would make sense even at this moment.

Otherwise, I just wouldn’t worry and keep growing the library, possibly moving the music files off the iMac onto a USB-connected hard drive or SSD. If and when your library reaches a size and complexity so that your iMac with the other software in use on it feels insufficient, you will notice and then is the time to consider moving the Roon Core on another device like Nucleus.

2 Likes

For me there was. Is your computer a desktop? Do you really like sitting at your desk to control Roon? Do you ever accidently shut down Roon while using your computer for other purposes? Would you like to sit in your recliner with a laptop or iPad and listen to music? If you decide you might want to purchase a Nucleus, consider a NUC also. You can assemble a NUC for about 50 percent the price of a Nucleus.

Jim,

Really clear; makes sense. Thanks :slight_smile: .

Yes. I can see that day coming. I resisted file-based listening for a long time because I didn’t want to handle both physical (CDs) as well… music databases etc.

But, having seen the advantages of FLAC in particular - even to my aging ears - I can see it’s the way to go. In due course I may even attempt to ‘rip’ my 5,000 CDs.

So the thought of a dedicated music server seemed attractive.

But now…

Thanks again!

That’s really helpful advice, @Andreas_Philipp1 . Thanks! Yes.

1 Like

Yes.

It will offer speed advantages if and when your library outgrows your current Roon Core on the iMac. I don’t think you’d notice audio advantages, though.

Yes, it does. If your usage of Roon requires more processing than your iMac is able to provide, given other uses of this iMac, then moving the Core on a dedicated device like Nucleus makes sense. But from your original post it seems as if you weren’t there yet. Why make the setup more complex now, if you’re possibly months or years from really needing it?

Again, if you would like to move your Core onto a dedicated device now, it is your choice and it will work well. But my point is that you really don’t seem to need to do so right now.

@Jim_F,

Yes.

In fact, I don’t mind at all. But I see what you mean :slight_smile: .

Again, thanks for posting out the advantages. I actually don’t mind.

What you’re actually saying is that a Nucleus turns the Roon experience into more of a dedicated/separate home audio system; and goes part way towards releasing it from the computer, aren’t you?

1 Like

If and when you do this and add ± 100.000 files to your library, then a dedicated device like Nucleus makes sense.

1 Like

I have zero music files and stream from Tidal and Quboz. I did not like running Roon on my laptop so I decided I wanted a dedicated device. I went with a Nucleus because I did not want to fool with DIY and I got a good price direct from Roon on a Black Friday sale two years ago.

My Dell laptop makes a great control device, but my iDevices work also.

1 Like

Andreas,

I think you’re right. I’m not.

So grateful for the experience of users here. You are able to see the practicality and reality of actually knowing when I would benefit from the external processing power.

I suspect I shall get there one day. But not even with 500 albums :slight_smile: .

Thanks again.

1 Like

Andreas,

Now I see how and why. I’m just not there. Probably by the time I am, Roon will have other features - such as Thunderbolt.

Thanks!

I would not be using Roon if I had to walk over to a desk to choose music or look at metadata. And yes, it will totally free up your computer if that’s important. You can use a tablet instead. Do you have a laptop? That is the best choice for me. Some use a phone. I find a phone to be less than desirable.

1 Like

Thanks, Jim. I see what you mean. And how Nucleus fits in!

I spend a lot of my day at my computer and don’t mind at all. But if I had to stay near my stereo system I’d want to be liberated quickly :slight_smile: .

1 Like

No. If you are currently happy with your setup, no need to moe to a nucleus, nno advantage whatsoever. If you need more storage for music most external USB drive are more than sufficient.

1 Like

Thanks, @BCBC - the helpful comments of everyone here have really helped me.

I’ll know what to do when the time comes. But it’s not here yet…

In answer to your questions and the comments from the others -

Ok “incorrect” is the wrong term.
Yes, you could/can control Roon using another computer in your listening room, but the second one isn’t needed, you can use an app. I am not at home right now and can’t compare app functionality versus Roon on a PC or Mac, but if there are differences, I haven’t noticed them in a very, very long time (I’ve been a lifetime subscriber since Roon launched). That said, I will say that setting up a network drive and some settings on Roon is easier using a PC and its keyboard - I have Roon on a couple of additional computers around the house, but I don’t use either in my listening room where the Roon Core is.

As for your question Mark, regarding a dedicated computer for audio, people come down on both sides of the argument - there are “experts” that say you don’t need a dedicated computer and “experts” that say you do.

Yes, your iMac can do what a Nucleus can do - they can both play music and, depending on the processor in the iMac, it can probably do DSP too, if you’re interested.

It does appear, though, that a PC stripped down like the Nucleus, using only the parts of Linux that are required, may sound better than a PC/Mac that hasn’t been optimised and, perhaps, the less processes running the better the sound quality.

FWIW, the Nucleus comes with a 30 day return policy Returns so you could play around with this at home and see if it is an improvement. The only thing to be careful about are the storage options in the Nucleus - you said that you are going to a “(much) larger Library” and the largest you can get on the Nucleus is 4TB and this comes pre-installed, I’m not sure if this could be expanded by you if needed. Alternatively, if this wasn’t enough, it would also connect to a NAS on your network if you have one (you should so you can backup your files), but in my experience, music files stored on the server sound better than the same played from a NAS.

Have fun!