Is Nucleus a better than just using my Synology?

One important question that you need to answer is how many tracks do you have in total in your library?
The Nucleus is designed for smaller library and the Nucleus Plus for the much larger library.

So that should factor into your decision right away…whether the Nucleus is even the right fit for your needs.

Because then you would be looking at a $2600 question and not a $1500 one!

It is down to you, your money, but it seems to me that you have already made up your mind.

I am just happy with my decision of getting a Nucleus, but it is my spare money, I know I would have a full Roon support if something goes wrong, even I know could build a Roon Rock NUC easily if I want.

2 Likes

Based on ease of setting up the NUC and installing with Roon Rock, I would not buy the Nucleus+ again. I’m happy with the Nucleus+, but I really don’t like to throw away money.

Of course, looking at the bigger picture… Nucleus+ is dirt cheap compared to the Trinnov Altitude32 with 32 channels :slight_smile:

Edit:
Regardless of Nucleus or NUC, do install a SSD disk for the music. Having music stored on a NAS will not give same experience (I have switched over to using the NAS as backup).

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-QVO-SATA-MZ-77Q8T0B/dp/B089C3TZL9

1 Like

Roon server runs on Windows, macOS and Linux. Whatever you chose, you get full support. If they supported only Nucleus, I would not be here.

I know, but not your hardware/OS. It is obvious to you?

I downloaded the Synology package, installed it, opened it, told it where my library was located and that was it.

1 Like

If my hardware/OS costs 1/3rd of Nucleus, it could crash 3 times more than the Nucleus and I would still break even. What are the odds?

If I had made up my mind I would not have bothered to ask the question. As I mentioned earlier, I have a nukleus+ on order but having discovered that Roon supports my Synology it is reasonable to ask the question, what are the marginal benefits of the nukleus over the Synology. So far the one benefit seems to be the seamless updates and that’s not something I care about since I live in computer world!

I don’t buy the argument that it will sound different (that is what I originally came here to ask about) and it has been pointed out that Roon doesn’t claim that either.

Some people have made the comment that one must use SSDs for a better experience but I don’t know what that better experience is supposed to be? Is it just that a song will start a few milliseconds faster or is there something really important t?

OK, so I would try it when it comes, Roon have 30-day return, no question asked.

I keep mine.

Agreed. To stream 192/24 to 6 zones (what Nucleus+ supports), you need a read speed of about 7 MB/s. To stream DSD128 to 6 zones, you need about 9 MB/s. Any HDD can do that.

Welcome to the party, @David_Jameson!

Roon runs well on a NAS with sufficient horsepower. You can run it as a package or a docker container. People are doing it both ways.

I have two installations (two locations) each running on a Synology NAS. As you point out, the thing is ultimately just streaming bits over a network.

Roon is a really outstanding product. A Nucleus is a turnkey, appliance-style device that suits some folks. If you’re confident in your ability to run it on a NAS - which it sounds like you most certainly are - they my personal recommendation would be to cancel your Nucleus order and stay the course with your current installation.

Either way, welcome again - you’ll have fun with Roon for sure.

1 Like

Yes, Roon itself is very nice and without the nonsense claims about impact on the sound, I’m quite happy to just leave it on one of my Synologys.

It’s not clear to me where the need for a faster system is driven as a function of the size of the library (I would think all the metadata is in a properly indexed database and so) but I have plenty of spare CPU capacity around already if I need it.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and feedback - I really do appreciate it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that you truly have no need of a Nucleus whatsoever.

The dealers nonsense about better sound is really just that… nonsense.

It’s appeal lies in its appliance like nature which is aimed at non techies or just simply those who can’t be bothered to deal with computer related stuff any more.

It sounds like you have both the hardware and the nonce to get the job done without a Nucleus in your system.

Now….enjoy the music!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about it at first, but once you do spring for the Lifetime license that upgradeitis will probably catch up to you. Does it sound better? Theoretically…it’s possible. There certainly is less pathways to introduce noise and interference compared to a NAS. My ears are not hearing it. I upgraded from a QNAP NAS with adequate RAM and built a NUC/ROCK with an 8th Gen i5 in a fanless housing. Way cheaper than the Nucleus and the performance does not disappoint. Once you start running multiple zones and using DSP, you’re going to need the dedicated processing and more RAM. Now, doesn’t that “sound” better than a NAS?

Well, it took just a couple of minutes to download the package, manually install it on the NAS through the package manager, start it, and select my library.

If one wants to do a time vs money comparison, assuming one already has the prerequisite computer knowledge, it would have taken longer to order a nucleus online, open the box when it arrived, unpack it, check for damage, carry it up to the media room, plug it in, setup the network connection and so forth than it did to just throw it onto a machine already running in my basement :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Your dealer is full of $hi+. Please tell them we said so. Cancel your Nucleus+ order and get back to more interesting parts of this hobby. :slight_smile:

On the SSD question, Roon’s database is a bit messy. If you have a large library, you will find that you have tens or hundreds of thousands of little files and lots of random I/O. Roon’s performance will gradually tank if the database is not stored on SSD.

You sound more than capable to sort this out on your own, but don’t hesitate to ping us.

1 Like

Please explain — what noise and interference can be created? We’re talking about “bits”, not analog voltages – you can’t interfere with bits (at least not unless you break the cable or short circuit something!)

I understand the possible need for more CPU cycles in this situation but that’s completely orthogonal to the issue of the (clearly nonsensical) claim made by my dealer that a Nucleus sounds better.

1 Like

Ah - ok – that makes sense - though I’m surprised they don’t use a database (SQL, SQLite or whatever else makes sense) to optimize seeks so as to avoid a lot of physical head movement.

This horse has been beaten to death.

@David_Jameson, I don’t really understand why you are so hell-bent on believing the words of your dealer, but it doesn’t matter, because the original question has been answered many times over in this thread.

If you want to continue the discussion on this subject, we have very long threads on this matter. Let’s not infect more threads with the topic, which often goes toxic. You can start here if you are actually curious as to why some people argue “bits are bits” and others argue “there is more than bits”:

5 Likes